DIY Instructions for Very EASY heated waterer for under $20 bucks

I had already wrapped it before replacing, but yes, it's doing a fine job. Such a relief. We do see globs of ice on on the ground below the nipples but the nipples are functioning perfectly, not freezing up. It worked to minus 8 F.

Jen

Last edited:
I had already wrapped it before replacing, but yes, it's doing a fine job. Such a relief. We do see globs of ice on on the ground below the nipples but the nipples are functioning perfectly, not freezing up. It worked to minus 8 F.

Jen
Good Deal!! It is a relief isn't it?
I've got ice too, all down the side of the concrete block the jug sits on, I think the birds drip and splash a bit when drinking and it builds up pretty quick.
Got to get out there when it's starts to warm and knock off the ice so it doesn't soak the bedding.

Jen
Excellent! I think we found the key!
wee.gif

Update....

This thing has been working great! Temps in the upper 20's at night lately, and the water remains "warm" all the time.

My chickens are loving this waterer and I am too!

Why do u need a pump? Is it to keep the water circulating, so it doesn't freeze? Isn't the heater for that purpose? How often do u re-fill the water bucket? You dont have it hooked up to a water source, do u? With ur low temps, ur water lines would freeze, just as ours would here in northern Idaho. Sorry, im confused about t/pump

Quote: That post you quoted is 18 months old, jimmywalt actually doesn't even have chickens anymore.

BUT

I can answer your question being familiar with the thread and having DIY'd my own heated waterer based on his design.....
.......the pump was not really necessary. He added water by 'hand', not hose.

Last edited:
For me, I I think that the pump helps keep the nipples from freezing in very cold temps. (-20 or below). right now I have the pump in there, I removed the bird bath deicer. I think the pump keeps the water from getting as slimy as quickly. This could be my imagination though.

For me, I I think that the pump helps keep the nipples from freezing in very cold temps. (-20 or below). right now I have the pump in there, I removed the bird bath deicer. I think the pump keeps the water from getting as slimy as quickly. This could be my imagination though.
Moving the water with a pump might deter bio growth.....
.....it might also promote it by aerating the water, turning the water over past the surface which would incorporate more oxygen into the water column.

In a small vessel with a heater, the pump just uses up more power(not much tho, depending on pump).

If you had the nipples on a pipe coming from vessel, tubing down to the end of the pipe with a pump pushing water thru it is essential.

Hey "peeps"
tongue.png
. I am simply amazed at how clever and inventive this thread, and just about every other DIY thread on this entire site are!! This is our third year with chickens, and we are in the process of expanding our coop from one that houses five chickens (altho we only have 3 adult hens--lost two to a coyote attack
hit.gif
, which will never happen again) to house our 3 hens and our 8 pullets. We are also in the process of changing up the feed system and the waterer. I digress....anyhow, we are getting a Brite Tap waterer. I have two questions about the Brite Tap before I make a mistake in what I buy. Here they are:

1) How many hens can reasonably be served with one Brite Tap (we were planning on just getting one for our eleen girls)

and

2) Does the Brite Tap fit onto the Coleman 5 gallon cooler as well as the Rubbermaid? It seems that I can get the Coleman for a lot cheaper than the Rubbermaid, tho they look the same.

Again, thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas! BYC is THE BEST!

Here is a pic of our three older girls peeking into our house~~~

Hi!

I've built my own bucket heater almost the same as this. The only exception is that I got the heater and pump on eBay from china for less than half the price. I also bought a "110V Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat" for $6 and set it for heating at 32 degrees F.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=110v+temperature

I've also done the same setup with the pump hooked into my supply line for individual cage water nipples and cups. The supply line is a circle and returns the water to bucket, so it's always cycling. I wrapped the line with the black foam pipe insulation and kicked the temp upto about 36 degrees.

Thank OP!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom