Do chickens need grit?

Kristin228

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2017
Do they need it? If so, why? When can you start giving it to them and how often? I just wasn't sure I'd love to hear some feedback. Thanks!

That's what I thought. When are they old enough to have it? Can they have it even as lil baby chicks?

If they're just eating chick starter they don't need it as that's broken down enough for them already. If they're getting any other extras (scraps, treats, forage), then they need grit to help digest. That being said, if they free range at all, they're probably finding it on their own. I've never provided grit...as chicks they only have starter and then are let loose to range after that. They pick up grit out on their own.

If they're just eating chick starter they don't need it as that's broken down enough for them already. If they're getting any other extras (scraps, treats, forage), then they need grit to help digest. That being said, if they free range at all, they're probably finding it on their own. I've never provided grit...as chicks they only have starter and then are let loose to range after that. They pick up grit out on their own.
Okay thanks for the advice!

While chicks fed a chick starter ration don't NEED grit. They desire and benefit from it. It helps develop the gizzard. Usually chickens on pasture can find enough on their own but chicks in a brooder don't have that option.
All birds need grit so when the gizzard contracts to grind feedstuffs, the grit helps to break it up.
For years, I didn't offer grit till they were on pasture or eating scratch. However I gave a group of chicks about 5 weeks old a container of grit and they consumed it in a day.
Since then, I started sprinkling a bit of chick grit on their feed the first week and then provide a separate container starting at the second week.
I sold a bunch of day old chicks to a friend and she ended up with a bunch of cockerels. I traded her one of my pullets for one of her cockerels.
Shortly thereafter, I butchered some of the cockerels including the one she raised. My cockerels' gizzards were twice the size of hers.
Keep in mind there are 3 sizes of grit for chickens and they graduate to the next size pretty quickly.
I think chick grit is only for the first 5-7 weeks of age.

Last edited:
While chicks fed a chick starter ration don't NEED grit. They desire and benefit from it. It helps develop the gizzard. Usually chickens on pasture can find enough on their own but chicks in a brooder don't have that option.
All birds need grit so when the gizzard contracts to grind feedstuffs, the grit helps to break it up.
For years, I didn't offer grit till they were on pasture or eating scratch. However I gave a group of chicks about 5 weeks old a container of grit and they consumed it in a day.
Since then, I started sprinkling a bit of chick grit on their feed the first week and then provide a separate container starting at the second week.
I sold a bunch of day old chicks to a friend and she ended up with a bunch of cockerels. I traded her one of my pullets for one of her cockerels.
Shortly thereafter, I butchered some of the cockerels including the one she raised. My cockerels gizzards were twice the size of hers.
Keep in mind there are 3 sizes of grit for chickens and they graduate to the next size pretty quickly.
I think chick grit is only for the first 5-7 weeks of age.
Okay thank you so much this helped me out a lot
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

While this is technically true, there is more to it than that. The introduction of age appropriate grit at the various stages of development is key to the development of the digestive organs. This is one very good thread that discusses the importance of grit, even in early stages when feed is water soluble https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry

Back
Top Bottom