Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?

Thanks for the thread. I started my first batch of day olds yesterday. I've been fretting about the temp ever since. I have a 175 watt heat lamp on but it's 3 feet from them! Any closer and they'll cook!

I have one red hen who lays eggs for me. A friend of mine gave me a baby chic because someone brought it to her. Now I have the chick under lamp for four weeks now and it is doing well. When I moved in the red hen was already here and she is a sweetheart I love her to death. I care for her well. I got a rooster once and I didn't like how he treated my hen so we was given to someone else.
I have the heart lamp 24/7 doesn't it keep her/him from sleeping? How and when will I be able to tell if it is a layer? It is not a red chic it has golden stripes on it's wings. It looks like a brindle haired color. Isn't it cruel to leave in the box all of the time? I take it out a lot but still I work and go places. Penny (my red hen). Charges at her when I put her down near her. Will this stop? I'm planning on putting her in the coop with penny but don't know when I can do this? Like I said she is only four weeks old. Should I divide the coop with chicken wire so they can get used to each other's presence? Will penny ever accept the baby chic? Penny is about 31/2 and roams the property. She seems spoiled like she wants to be with me she jumps up to me. Does that mean she loves me? Please reply ASAP . I'm in Washington it's been getting down to 35 degrees at night. Is the chic going to be in my bedroom for a few months or can I put him out in coop now? The coop is lined with shavings on the bottom and on the outer edges I put hay on top of the shavings like under the bins and the post where they should roost.
Thanks a million if you plan on answering

Chic o dee:p

Hey Jstair.
welcome-byc.gif
You have come to the right place. Do some research on here and will get some really good answers. I live in the deep south (La) and have to unplug my light during the day. What kind of brooder do you have? Yes I would keep her separated from hen for a while. Divide the coop and they will get to know ea other. Chickens are social beings and will enjoy each other. I have 18 in a 29 x 40" that extends to 80". I just opened that up yesterday. They are 6 days old. Be happy to answer any questions. If I can.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the thread. I started my first batch of day olds yesterday. I've been fretting about the temp ever since. I have a 175 watt heat lamp on but it's 3 feet from them! Any closer and they'll cook!

Hey CMelvin
welcome-byc.gif
Aren't babies wonderful. Mine came 3 days ago and I'm have a ball with them. The heat is a little daunting trying to get it right Where are you? I'm in La outside of Shreveport. You might have to move the bottom over so light is only on one side so they can run to the darker if they get hot. I keep food and water on the darker side. I welcome any questions.

Hey CMelvin
welcome-byc.gif
Aren't babies wonderful. Mine came 3 days ago and I'm have a ball with them. The heat is a little daunting trying to get it right Where are you? I'm in La outside of Shreveport. You might have to move the bottom over so light is only on one side so they can run to the darker if they get hot. I keep food and water on the darker side. I welcome any questions.

Had to giggle at the whole "dark side" thing -- conjures of images of a chick Darth Vader.

Agreed! I did move the base so the heat is more on one side. Thanks for the tip. I'm on the east coast of canada. Check out my YouTube videos:

I raised my first chicks with an eco-glow brooder.. which only heats directly under it. The rest of the brooder was at the 73 or so degrees that the house was at.. they only spend the first day or so directly under the heat, as their bodies are learning to control their own temperature after being in the warm environment of the egg for a month. After that, they spent most of their time scampering around the brooder.... dumping the water, kicking the food out of the feeder, launching themselves off the top of the eco-glow...

I had to laugh at the launching off the eco-glow
gig.gif
One of mine is trying to jump up on their water fount.

I have 6 in a tote that are 5?days now. I'd have to look at their notebook to check and it's late now. They were peeping loudly, so I went and checked them. They were too hot. My cabin is barely heated right now. Outside temp's are barely above or at freezing. Cabin, not much more than that at night. I do have a 250 watt heat lamp, but have daily had to raise it for them, higher and higher, after the first couple days. I had them close to the heater that comes on, occasionally but had to move it away from the house heater also. It's a small propane heater. My lamp faces the back of the "brooder tote" which is only for the first week. I am putting the 4' by 4' brooder back together, and they will go in that, within the next day or so. I tear it down, repaint it, ect, each year to store it easier. I find that the chicks spend more time away from the heat source, after the first few days to a week, more than under it. Even when they sleep. I have one of the newest chicks, that is loud enough to wake me up, if they are not happy. I have been constantly changing the temps for them. Day time is different than night time, age and so on.

When chicks are raised by a broody, they will be out in all kinds of weather, and will only go to the broody for a quick warm up, than off to foraging again, usually after or at day one. Look at where I live. We are still deep in snow. This is the first week we hit 40 degrees F during the day, since Nov. Chicks really are tougher than we people give them credit for. I do think, for a beginner, a thermometer is a must, but remember, it's a suggested guideline. If you sit and watch the chicks, as well as use the thermometer, you will see that they don't need, nor want, usually, the "recommended" temps. Not after the first few days.

Oh and if you get a thermometer for chicks, you can put it right under the heat source/lamp. Do NOT put one with mercury in it, in the brooder as they will peck at it and might break it. I'm not sure what they put in the chick thermometers, but it's kinda red. Even has the recommend temps right on it.

Also, remember, chicks will self regulate. That means, if they are given the space to, they will move about the brooder, as needed. If they are comfortable, they will be all over it, even if it's really cold, and if they get chilly, they will head for the heat source to warm up or sleep near or under it. They will also sleep in a huddle, which is different than them being cold. Just that they like to sleep like that. Well, now that I have had a great laugh at the mental pic of chicks launching off the eco-glow, and gotten mine all settled again, I'm head for a few hours sleep. Boy will I be glad to have some broody hens. Momma can do the work and I lose less sleep LOL Night and have fun with all your chicks
jumpy.gif

My babies are 1 week old today. I turned the heat lamp off last night because it gets to 80 in the Louisiana daytime. It was 40 last night. Woke up hungry. My mentor on here is Beekissed on the Fermented feeds threads and has kept chickens for 38 yrs. Her week old CX's were outside in her hoop coop in 14 degree weather with only the heat lamp and they are doing great. Good to have experience give you help. Check her out.
thumbsup.gif

This thread makes me feel better. The lamp is as close as I want it to be and thermometer says 79 degrees. They are super happy, don't sleep directly under the lamp and are chirping and running around like theyre fine. Ambient temp is 70 degrees in an office in the garage.

Thanks for the tread. I am new at this and have my first batch of 8 little darlings. They are so cute. They are 4 days old and are all over the place. I still have the heat lamp on them and I opened the window to their room yesterday because they started to smell a little "fowl". LOL. anyway, I am thinking of putting them in an outside brooder today with the lamp on. It is a nice 70-80 here in Kenefick, TX. I am going to use an old rabbit hutch. Do you think they are alright to move outside? The hutch is under a covered patio. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom