Do ducks have a breeding season?

McChickenNugget

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. We have two female khaki ducks that we got in the spring. We wanted to hatch ducklings in the spring so we bought another female and a male about a month ago. So far I haven't seen the male try to breed any of the females and when I crack open the eggs to use, they don't have the big white bullseye like the fertilized chicken eggs. Do they stop mating when it gets cold or do they keep on breeding all year? They're all full grown khakis and the male is clearly a male lol thanks for the input

Hi everyone. We have two female khaki ducks that we got in the spring. We wanted to hatch ducklings in the spring so we bought another female and a male about a month ago. So far I haven't seen the male try to breed any of the females and when I crack open the eggs to use, they don't have the big white bullseye like the fertilized chicken eggs. Do they stop mating when it gets cold or do they keep on breeding all year? They're all full grown khakis and the male is clearly a male lol thanks for the input
I know my Muscovy's stop mating in fall and don't lay either, So you may not see any one mating till spring but you still may get eggs over winter since you have a breed that's known for their egg laying. .

Ditto to what ML said..

Now i am still seeing a bit of mating with my Pekin but not much, the buffs, calls & Muscovy no. Only the Pekin and buffs are laying the others have stopped, the calls many months ago.

Honestly though i wouldn't want a clutch with winter coming though i realize places vary with the weather.

Oh okay, that's good to know. We don't want to hatch any eggs now but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the male. Thankfully the females are still laying pretty good. I was thinking about getting a few Cayugas next year, are they seasonal breeders too?

Oh okay, that's good to know. We don't want to hatch any eggs now but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the male. Thankfully the females are still laying pretty good. I was thinking about getting a few Cayugas next year, are they seasonal breeders too?
I believe most domesticated ducks breed early spring through fall then are pretty quiet over winter.

Back
Top Bottom