Do geese help protect the other poultry since they are mean?

Mini Coop

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Cascades of Washington
I have a viscious goose who is fierce. She hisses and isn't afraid of anything. Will her presense help protect the chickens? There are raccoons out and about.

I'm thinking of putting her and her duck sidekick elsewhere since he is constantly molesting the hens. He is being a total nuisence to them since he doesn't currently have a mate. Previously, however, I had a duck who did have a mate and and that duck still molested the hens and even drowned a couple of them when he tried to mate with them while they were drinking from a little pond I had constructed.

I ordered an automatic chicken closing door, and that's another concern since the duck and goose don't go to bed as early. I'm thinking maybe it would be better to keep them in a different area.

What do you think, do you keep your geese with your chickens? We have a new baby goose too who currently lives in the house.

I have kept several geese with the chickens, only one I could not keep with them and that was my nasty china gander, he killed several of my chickens and a guinea just for walking by too close.....

I think it depends on the breed. My Sebastoplols are protective and tolerant of ducks and chickens. They are hatching now so we'll have to see if their the same when raising babies!
As far as racoons go we put them in the barn at night.

The reason we kept the geese near the chickens is becasue they make such a fuss they would wake you out of your sleep to get up and go out with the gun. If they were honking at night something was trying to molest our critters. The geese grabbed at the chickens only if they got in their way, but we had a very very large area so they weren't running over each other. Otherwise I would keep them seperate, but close.

I have a friend who has issues with his geese killing his ducklings. He said they either hold the baby muscovies under water until they drown or they pick them up and bounce them off the ground breaking their necks.....

Now I suppose ducklings....being they are new to the flock, could be seen as intruders. Personally I think I'd want to drown the geese but that is just me...lol.

I've always heard drakes are highly sexed and should have a bevy of females to keep them content. And often they prefer to mate on water so it is possible for them to drown even other ducks while they are trying to be amorous.
roll.png

I have one female duck that gets very irate when the drake mates the other gals and spends a lot of time quacking, biting the other pair and trying to knock him off the other girls.... must be true love..lol

Julie

Quote:
Ditto!!

I think your goose and duck need a companion of their own breed. Generally, my geese ignore the chickens. I wouldn't say they would protect them, since they seem to know they are not chickens and do their own thing most the time during the day

Back
Top Bottom