Do hens "crow" like roosters?

I too, have a hen who crowed a few times before deciding to lay eggs. She's a FBCM and I only heard her crow about three times during her adolescence. Kind of puts a hole in the whole 'if it crows its a rooster and if it lays an egg its a hen' theory...:rolleyes:

We call her NGSC, or Nongender-Specific Chicken.

I've had many older game hens crow they sound like a young rooster when they first start crowing. All the old tymers will tell you that when you have a hen crow it's a sign of bad luck.. But in my experiences they always make the best mothers.

ug. i have a redish hen , a rescue, that crows ineccesantly from 6:00 until 8:30 every morning and sometime in the evening... she lays creamy brown eggs, but she stands on her rock every day and does the intermible hen crow. its not a real male cookoricoocoo but a long drawn out complaining squawking thas also not an egg song, or a clucking song. its also not for any predator that i can see, unless the doves annoy her. for a while she had stopped but her ill sister has died (they were thrown away, literally, and the one didnt make it) and she has regressed to that sound again... she has food/water, the coop door is always open because they go nuts if i dont open it in the morning early enough, and they are under neighbhors window. its really really annoyng. the leghorns also do that a bit, but she literally stands up on this rock, and does it... she must be a mix leghorn or red leghorn mix with rhode island maybe...

Yes, hens can and do crow at times. I have a Rode Island Red hen who gives me a beautiful brown egg almost every single day and she does crow from time to time. I mean it is a real, honest to goodness crow, albeit a little dorky and lacking, but it is definitely a crow. We have no rooster with our little flock, and I wonder if it is some kind of hormonal thing with her. She's the most dominant of our 11 hens.

Yes, hens sometimes can and do crow. I have a Rode Island Red who crows often, not a squawk or a "buck-buck-BA-GUCK", it is most definitely a hen's version of a crow. She lays regularly, too. We have no rooster and I think that might have something to do with it and she is the most dominant of the 11 hens that I have.

I need help with this same question, I have a very dominant 8 week old (hen?) white leghorn, there's not really any sign of a spur and the feathers seem to be coming in hen like, but when I open the run "she" has just started to practice what I think is crowing. Is it possible that she is a she or do I have myself a rooster???? Please help...my kids are already so attached but we are not allowed to have any roosters.

So, I have a 15 week old RIR, and I heard it try to crow tonight. It wasn't a clear rooster crow, but a solid imitation or first attempt. At what age will a rooster begin undeniably rooster crowing?

I may be in the same boat...RIR also. She/He is 15 weeks old and it's either the weakest crow ever or a decent imitation by a hen. I'll cross my fingers and look for spurs, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom