do hens fight like roosters

oh and keep an eye on their crown the bigger the crown its a rooster and if it starts crowing! have they been crowing?
yippiechickie.gif

When any of my hens showed aggression, they would put the tips of their wings on the groud, puff up like a black cotton-ball and run at you, but they never hurt me just other hens or chicks.

I have to disagree.....my buff orpingtons (which are positively hens because they are currently laying) will fluff out their chest and neck feathers when they feel it is necessary to push another chicken around. My cornish x's will also do this, but only to each other they pretty much stay away from the other bird.
Chris

I think that you are seeing the hens expanding their neck hackles. These feathers form an umbrella like circle of hackle feathers starting just behind their head. These feathers IMHO are expanded to make our little feathered Gladiators look bigger or more fearsome and dangerous. Why fight when you can win the pot by bluffing?

Here is a picture of my Buff O roo, and 1 of my hens. The hens comb didn't get that big until she started laying.

I'm not an expert, but my guess is they are both roo's

Last edited:
So I just got rid of my rooster and my hens who are normally docile are now charging each other! What do I do!!??

I have to disagree.....my buff orpingtons (which are positively hens because they are currently laying) will fluff out their chest and neck feathers when they feel it is necessary to push another chicken around. My cornish x's will also do this, but only to each other they pretty much stay away from the other bird.
Chris

I agree too. My Black Minorcas and Orphingtons, as well as several others in my flock will fluff their feathers out and mock fight just like roosters if they are trying to settle a pecking order issue.

So I just got rid of my rooster and my hens who are normally docile are now charging each other! What do I do!!??

It sounds to me like one of them is working for the "head hen" position. In the absence of a rooster, one of the hens usually takes over the roosterly duties of watching for predators and leading the flock.

Back
Top Bottom