Do I need to cover my entire run with hardware cloth?

Enclosing a run of that size with hardware cloth is going to cost an arm and a leg. How many birds? What is the size of your coops?

A cheaper alternative might be to use chicken wire, and put bird netting over the top (if you are not in snow country) then run electric fencing around the perimeter. This will keep out all but weasels.

Only you are in touch with your risk tolerance as it relates to your finances.
That’s what I would do...electric fencing would likely cost under $100...

I highly recommend covering the whole thing with farm grade hardware cloth after framing. at the very least, the entire inner coop where they will sleep at night. I did this years ago when I built my coop and no issues with predators so far. simply rats and racoons alone are reason enough.

Thanks for your reply! Right now we have T- bar fence posts rather than wooden framing, that we are planning to use with hardware cloth to create the run enclosure. We have a fence gate that can be opened to go in and out of the enclosed area, which we'll get a lock for. I am wondering if using T-bars for the enclosure's walls will be sturdy enough. It would take a lot of lumber and time/ effort to frame a run of this size in wood. Thoughts on this type of construction?

It sounds like maybe we need to make the run smaller so that we can enclose it more expertly without as high of a cost. I was hoping if we dug in the hardware cloth and used hardware cloth for the 6 foot high perimeter, I could use something cheaper, like chicken wire, for the roof of the enclosure. It will end up being a very large roof space so a solid roof is not likely to happen. Would raccoons climb up the 6 foot hardware cloth walls and be able to pry open the chicken wire roofing to get in?

Our other alternative is to NOT make the run itself predator proof, but make their two coops totally predator proof, and have someone stay at our house when we go out of town to lock the hens in at night and let them out in the morning. We are home all day (both work from home and outside a lot with 3 kids, and good guard dog) so I'm not concerned about daytime predators, just about overnight- mainly raccoons. Most hens in our area free range all day without incident but raccoons are likely to be around at night.

Enclosing a run of that size with hardware cloth is going to cost an arm and a leg. How many birds? What is the size of your coops?

A cheaper alternative might be to use chicken wire, and put bird netting over the top (if you are not in snow country) then run electric fencing around the perimeter. This will keep out all but weasels.

Thank you for your reply! Our flock is currently 12 hens, and yes, adding the hardware cloth over the roof of a run of this size would double the cost. We have two coops: one is good for about 3-5 birds and the other will house up to 12. Both are inside the run and can be predator-proofed instead, but this will mean that the hens will need to be manually locked into the coops at night and let out each morning. Fine with me, but not so easy to leave for a weekend camping trip. When we are home (which is 95% of the time) they will have access to their run all day, and will be allowed to free range in the rest of the yard frequently as well.

If I run electric fencing around the perimeter that could work although I wouldn't want it on all the time with kids going in and out of the run to visit the hens. I suppose I could only turn it on at night once the hens are in. Have you had success with electric fencing keeping raccoons out?

Have you considered an auto door for the coops, since it sounds like the main concern is that someone be available to close up the coop on nights when you aren't there?

Doing a wire top on a big run is difficult mostly due to weight but I'd hate to say "Shrink the run" because more space is always better. I do have raccoons here (who doesn't) but they haven't caused any issues, so my run is topped with heavy duty poultry netting due to hawks and of course the chickens are locked up in the coop at night.

Coons and most other predators are night time issues. I have an auto pop door. My run is chicken wire with a skirt. During non-snow season, the whole thing is covered with bird netting. Part of the run is green house tarped with 2 x 4 welded wire extension to provide safe, wind free winter run for the birds. Yes, I understand that chicken wire is not truly predator proof. However, There is no way I could provide 500 s.f. of hardware cloth covered run, and the winter snow load would rip it down in a heart beat. As it is, I have to go out 2 - 3 x/storm to knock the heavy snow off the green house tarped peak, and even off the 2 x 4 wire covered area. I may put up some metal roofing over part of the run before next winter. But, I will still have to clean the snow off that section of the run with every storm. Some of our winter storms totaled 24" at a time this last winter, and they were often back to back.

I have used electric in the past. @Howard E is the go to King about all things electric fence. A coon or other predator will not mess with a properly installed electric fence. As for your children, if they are 4 y.o. or older, they are smart enough to learn to stay away from an electric fence. And yes, you can turn the charger off during the day. You may even be able to put it on a timer. Personally, I won't let my grand kids near my birds without me being present. But, I have a roo.

Thanks for your reply! Right now we have T- bar fence posts rather than wooden framing, that we are planning to use with hardware cloth to create the run enclosure. We have a fence gate that can be opened to go in and out of the enclosed area, which we'll get a lock for. I am wondering if using T-bars for the enclosure's walls will be sturdy enough. It would take a lot of lumber and time/ effort to frame a run of this size in wood. Thoughts on this type of construction?
How about this as a middle ground: use wood posts,
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ted-wood-post-35-in-4-in-x-65-ft?cm_vc=-10005 like these, and then fencing steeples...with your hardware cloth.

You would need to borrow/buy/rent a power posthole auger (my local Home Depot rents them but I'm sure there are other), unless you really liked digging holes...

It sounds like maybe we need to make the run smaller so that we can enclose it more expertly without as high of a cost. I was hoping if we dug in the hardware cloth and used hardware cloth for the 6 foot high perimeter, I could use something cheaper, like chicken wire, for the roof of the enclosure. It will end up being a very large roof space so a solid roof is not likely to happen. Would raccoons climb up the 6 foot hardware cloth walls
They've been known to climb trees...so...yes...

Just run a hot wire around the bottom two feet or so. The electric fences have a controller box that your kids could learn to operate, they're probably more tech savvy than you are, most of them seem to be anyway...you can even buy a cutout switch (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ks-electric-fence-cut-out-switch?cm_vc=-10005) that's no more complicated than a lightswitch...And in any case its not likely to hurt them.

I would run bird netting over the top. Cheap, and should mostly protect from hawks and owls. Every game bird grower I know uses it and they have to keep their birds in flight pens.

I agree that the hardware cloth is going to be super expensive. One idea is to use chicken wire on the outside, and then run a shorter less expensive fence along the inside to keep the birds away from the outside walls. I've found that the biggest issue with chicken wire is that the birds sit flush against it and the raccoons reach through and pull their heads through (happened to my brother, it was horrific!). When he rebuilt, he did the inner fence and hasn't had problems - but it's only been about a year so if someone has additional information, please feel free to correct me. I also agree with everyone else on the roof. Maybe pallets?

Our run is 1x2” welded wire with a 24” hardware cloth apron and metal roof. We also have an automatic pop door on a photo sensor. While not nearly as big as your proposed run, I feel like it provides excellent protection from predators for a reasonable price. It works well for us.

I like to use heavy duty wire around the sides of the coop to keep predators out, I then put a second layer of smaller wire around the sides, usually chicken wire or hardware cloth, this is used by me to keep the chickens in. The heavy duty wire holes are not small enough to stop chickens from sticking their heads out or stop a very young bird from slipping out. The smaller wire second layer really only has to be around the bottom of the run, 2 or 3 feet tall, it just needs to stop the chickens from sticking their heads out and stop the smaller predators from sticking their heads/hands in. For the top of the run I use sheet metal or heavy duty poultry netting. I also lay down heavy duty wire around the outside of the run and then bury it to stop digging.

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom