Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

I need to stop taking pictures under the canopy. The weird lighting throws everything off, sorry.

Anyway, the babies are 6 weeks old today! Any new guesses on gender?
I am very hesitant to go off of comb color.. after catching and handling them all in the heat, everyone’s face got very red.

Floppy
View attachment 1512876
View attachment 1512875
Stinkeye
View attachment 1512879
View attachment 1512881
Lil Nub
View attachment 1512885
View attachment 1512886
Pip
View attachment 1512877
View attachment 1512878
Squeak
View attachment 1512884
View attachment 1512882
Whitey
View attachment 1512873
View attachment 1512874
And “the welsummer”
View attachment 1512888
View attachment 1512889

They look like pullets to me Tes.

Early as in... 4 weeks old?
That is my confusion. I read that male specific red wing feathers come later with other sexually mature feathers.

I raise tons of Partridge Rocks (they are wild type as well) and the males always get the red patches at 4 weeks.

On chickens, never believe all the book artists say, I've found even the most popular poultry raising books to have large errors in them. I mean, the most trusted poultry raising guide (I think it's Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) has so many errors in it. On one page it even has a picture of a Black Star pullet and says under the picture 'Rhode Island Red' hen

Hoping to clear up some things here for my own understanding.

So @Jase The Butcher... say I had an EE with a base color of white, lavender or even black any color really if it was going to have red wing leakage would it always show early on or could it show up closer to sexual maturity? I've been wondering about this for a while now. TIA for your help!:highfive:

I need to stop taking pictures under the canopy. The weird lighting throws everything off, sorry.
Maybe that's contributing to the 'pink'...they all look a bit too pink, but could be the light and/or the heat and/or 'excitement/exertion' from being caught and held.
Not guessing, sorry ;)

Back
Top Bottom