Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Alright y’all. This is driving me insane.
Ordered 8 sexed pullets from Ideal poultry. 9 arrived, one died, so in a theoretical perfect world I should have 7 pullets and 1 cockerel packing peanut. Yea right.

They are about 4.5 weeks old now, 5 weeks on Wednesday. I know that’s young, I will be updating this thread. (I’ve also got baby photos if wanted)
Sorry for the blurry pics, I thought these were in focus but they were all wound up and being nuts.

3 buff orpingtons. I have a hard time telling them apart; one is bigger and has a larger comb, and one is much smaller with a slightly tinier comb. The third is inbetween and always confuses me.
View attachment 1501118
View attachment 1501120

Two barred rocks. They are identical in combs and size.
View attachment 1501133
View attachment 1501119

One welsummer. S/he is definitely a favorite, these wattles have me panicking.
View attachment 1501121
View attachment 1501129

One pure white EE. S/he’s really grown on me.
View attachment 1501122
View attachment 1501128

And one “chipmunk” EE. We mutually hate each other, this is the only one who I wouldn’t care if it was a boy. Almost broke my neck trying to catch this little snot.
View attachment 1501130
View attachment 1501131
View attachment 1501132
Judging them as they are now at 4.5 weeks, I'm thinking all are pullets with the possible exception of that last chipmunk Easter egger. I am not convinced it is a definite cockerel, though, so don't be hasty about getting rid of it.

I also have to warn that things can still easily change with some of the solid colored birds. However, they were sold as sexed pullets and I think you can assume that if you do get cockerels it will only be one or two, if any at all.

My advice is to stop worrying about it, if possible. Easier said than done, but just remember that everything will be alright in the end, and there is nothing you can do to change their sexes. They will be what they will be. Just enjoy them as they are now, because it won't last for very long. They are gorgeous, healthy birds and you've done a great job raising them!

Judging them as they are now at 4.5 weeks, I'm thinking all are pullets with the possible exception of that last chipmunk Easter egger. I am not convinced it is a definite cockerel, though, so don't be hasty about getting rid of it.

I also have to warn that things can still easily change with some of the solid colored birds. However, they were sold as sexed pullets and I think you can assume that if you do get cockerels it will only be one or two, if any at all.

My advice is to stop worrying about it, if possible. Easier said than done, but just remember that everything will be alright in the end, and there is nothing you can do to change their sexes. They will be what they will be. Just enjoy them as they are now, because it won't last for very long. They are gorgeous, healthy birds and you've done a great job raising them!
:goodpost::highfive:

:goodpost: Indeed!

Thank you very much Jed, I was really hoping you would comment haha. That’s good to hear, and rest assured I will be updating this thread for those tricky ones that anyone else might be stuck on.

I’m technically in no rush. If any are roosters, I will be keeping them at least to the point of having saddle/hackle feather confirmation (before culling or rehoming). Having such a small amount of birds has made them much more pet-like, so it’s more for my own sake of not wanting to get attached to any boys lol.
Anyways, thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom