Do I worry about the black bear?

Here's an example of what we see around our house, periodically, on our cameras. Haven't bothered the chickens yet, though if they got it in their heads to our 10kv fence would likely deter them. From what I've heard from others in "bear country," the bears are more interested in whatever scraps (e.g. chicken feed, scratch, other leftovers from chickens) are around than the chickens themselves...though they supposedly will take a chicken if the mood strikes. Bears are omnivorous opportunists, though, so if they have to work too hard to get something, they'll likely move along.

You never know when it's going to happen. We had chickens for two years, with no problems. We knew the potential was there, but we were lucky. We had seen plenty of bear. That's just the area that we live in. April of this year my entire flock was massacred by bear. The coop itself was as secure as it was going to get. The door was torn off, from the hinge side. Now, the chain link run which encloses the coop is reinforced with electric fence. So far, so good.

Black bears are more interested in chicken feed than chickens and, if they can smell it in the coop, will go through windows, doors, even walls to get at it. In the process if chickens are killed, they will eat them but they aren't the primary target just collateral damage.

Quote:
I don't keep feed in my coop
smile.png

should be okay black bears are okay as long as they are not humanized and become too use to people u will be okay most of what they wanna eat is vegan from what i understand berrys grass plants and a bit of meat here and there this goes for the giants also. A bear will kill a horse or cow calf once in a while though. I have only had one bear come this close to the city and enter my yard. They are soo goofy and cute and silly u forget how much power and rage they are capable of. ALways best to scare them away if u find them anywhere near ur property u do not want an animal with this much power with the ability to kill a person in a minute EVER to think it is welcome on your property. May fire shots in the sky to scare them off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom