Do Nosy Neighbours Count As Pests?

I didn't mean to mock anyone....not a bit! Sorry if it came across like that...as to wolves not bothering anyone...they live across the road from me...I've woken up to find a dismembered deer in my yard...and another in the driveway...that was last winter...the year before the unfortunate deer was in the front yard and parts out on the ice...yes they are beautiful and can be dangerous...they have killed live stock and family dogs in this area...so I couldn't agree with them being timid...and they do keep the deer population down....it's now the lowest it's been in fifty years...if this keeps up the wolves will eat themselves out of food...maybe they will eat the moose that moved in across the road this spring...

I am still lurking in this thread, reading all the posts and couldn’t help but comment on just how different our worlds our.

Here in suburban Brisbane, Zeil is talking about weird two legged neighbours and the only real but manageable four legged threat to my gals are overweight neighbourhood dogs and cats … I would gladly live next door to Zeil’s freak show if the only other option was to contend with all the four legged threats you guys n’ gals have mentioned
hide.gif

Having said that, just wanted to share a picture taken by a fellow Aussie .. this 'little fella' was trying to steal chicks from a broody; she defended her brood and only lost a couple of feathers; the goanna was released, well away from the hens. Check out those claws!

Wolves attacked family dogs? They are usually not that bold. And as for them eating the deer down so low, I believe it is partly if not mostly due to over hunting, as wolves usually kill in a very limited way with wild animals. That said, are you sure they are full blooded wolves near you? Wolf dog hybrids are a large threat to livestock and other animals, but wolves are less bold.

Ya! They are beautiful....so are Cougars, Wolves, Coyote, Badgers, Fishers, Weasels, Raccoons, Black Bears....have I missed anything....lots of people think it would be great to look out on their Lawn and see one or more of these predators....they are Soooo wild!!! Just like a nature documentary....oh!!! Beautiful!!! How Pretty!!! That's till you actually receive a visit from one of the mentioned creatures...and they leave their "calling card"....a Black Bear can break into most coops if it wants to bad enough....I know from experience that they can Darn near "Walk" thru most wire enclosed chicken runs....what they leave behind isn't pretty!!! We have all of the mentioned predators and more around here....if I had a Bobcat eyeballing my birds in full daylight....let alone skulking about my yard at night....I'd do everything in my power to get rid of it! If it comes back and it's not an unpleasant visit your birds will end up on that Kitty's menu.....maybe your little dog or cat...or make a try for the toddler playing in the grass....the one in the picture is probably a youngster....a mature cat has usually learned that humans are bad news...I would make its next visit, it's last visit....one way or the other....it wouldn't be back, if I could help it.
I am well aware of the dangers of all the predators you have mentioned. Our largest predators are coyotes. A couple of years ago a pack of them wiped out half my flock. I can think of two things that contributed to that. 1. Our dog had to be put down about 1 1/2 months before, and 2. We were on vacation, so my mom was coming over to let the chickens out to free range during the day and locking them up at night. That particular day she'd been over about 4 hours prior to locking them up, that evening 5 were missing. (She didn't let them out again while we were gone.) We also have raccoons, skunks, hawks, eagles, mink, badgers and weasels. When one of those shows up near our buildings, it generally doesn't get to leave. There are plenty of acres of state wildlife areas around, plus farm fields (Coyotes love cornfields) That doesn't mean we can't appreciate the beauty of the wildlife that lives in our area. We just don't have to appreciate it as it's looking longingly at our chickens (or attacking them).

Bobbi-J never said that the predator was not dangerous, just that it was beautiful. You seem to be mocking Bobbi, but he never said he wouldn't take the neccassary measures to keep his livestock safe, but please correct me if I am wrong. In my experience, wolves are rarely a problem with livestock, they are quite timid around people and dogs usually keep them away. If you are lucky enough to have wolves in your area, keep them there, they are wonderful animals. They keep the coyote and feral cat population down and are very helpful with overpopulation of deer, moose, elk, caribou, etc., they serve a very important purpose. I was not fortunate enough to live nearby any until recently when a wolf pack has been discovered in California! I truly hope they make a comeback. Anyway, good luck with your bobcat problems, we have mountain lions here so I feel for you.
Thank you for pointing out that we would take necessary measures to keep our livestock safe. We would.
I live on the western prairie of MN. We don't have wolves here, but coyotes have been known to lure a dog away from home and out to the pack where they kill it. They kill and eat newborn calves and fawns. They harass cattle, horses, sheep and goats. There are wolves in northern MN, and they have are a real problem with livestock farmers as they, too, kill calves and full grown cattle, sheep, etc. And yes, they have taken down the deer population quite significantly. Maybe it depends on where one lives, how many packs there are, or how large a pack, but they are far from timid in northern MN. Something to think about: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/08/26/dnr-investigating-apparent-wolf-attack-in-n-minn/ Granted, this was a one-time thing, and the wolf had a deformed jaw, but the potential is there. Just like mountain lions that are too old to hunt game that may become a threat to humans. I agree with you that they are beautiful animals and generally do shy away from humans. I think that - as with everything in life - balance is good. But you can't grow a population of predators without consequences. Too many predators, and the population of prey animals goes down. Not enough, and you're over run with deer, rabbits, etc. It's a delicate dance, I think.
I am still lurking in this thread, reading all the posts and couldn’t help but comment on just how different our worlds our.

Here in suburban Brisbane, Zeil is talking about weird two legged neighbours and the only real but manageable four legged threat to my gals are overweight neighbourhood dogs and cats … I would gladly live next door to Zeil’s freak show if the only other option was to contend with all the four legged threats you guys n’ gals have mentioned
hide.gif

Having said that, just wanted to share a picture taken by a fellow Aussie .. this 'little fella' was trying to steal chicks from a broody; she defended her brood and only lost a couple of feathers; the goanna was released, well away from the hens. Check out those claws!

I saw the pictures before I read your post. My first thought was, "WHAT praytell is THAT???" It kind of looks like a giant salamander, only... worse. I don't mind salamanders, but they don't get much more than 6" long and don't have all the pointy parts that that thing has!

Last edited:
Wolves attacked family dogs? They are usually not that bold. And as for them eating the deer down so low, I believe it is partly if not mostly due to over hunting, as wolves usually kill in a very limited way with wild animals. That said, are you sure they are full blooded wolves near you? Wolf dog hybrids are a large threat to livestock and other animals, but wolves are less bold.
I believe that they are....since the DNR planted them a few years back....then proceeded to deny their existence for years the following the release....until so many residents of the area reported...with dated photos...that they were seen in the area....they denied the existence of Cougars as well....until people found them on trail cams or in their back yard...when I called to report a big cat sighting....in broad daylight...they told me it must have been a golden retriever! It didn't look a bit like my Golden...she could never have leaped from one ditch to the center of a two lane road...land and take a leisurely glance at my car, then leap into the other ditch...and disappear....that night it wiped out half of the neighbors chickens...and destroyed the coop...they never did find their dog...

Cougar? The DNR told you that a cougar you saw was a GOLDEN RETRIEVER? I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh. That is just sad. Some people can be so clueless! I'm pretty sure you are well aware do your dog's appearance compared to that of a big cat... You should get a photo or if one attacks your chickens, you can have a pelt to show the DNR as well.

They were just blowing me off....typical...the wolf we watched thru the spotting scope as it dismembered the Frozen deer carcass was a coyote or someone's German Shepherd...Funny thing is about 3 months later I "Caught" the "Wolf Biologist" at the end of my road, tracking a collared wolf...coyote....German Shepherd....My A--...Ya know it wouldn't be bad if they didn't treat you like you are seeing things....or worse...

I am still lurking in this thread, reading all the posts and couldn’t help but comment on just how different our worlds our. Here in suburban Brisbane, Zeil is talking about weird two legged neighbours and the only real but manageable four legged threat to my gals are overweight neighbourhood dogs and cats … I would gladly live next door to Zeil’s freak show if the only other option was to contend with all the four legged threats you guys n’ gals have mentioned :oops: Having said that, just wanted to share a picture taken by a fellow Aussie .. this 'little fella' was trying to steal chicks from a broody; she defended her brood and only lost a couple of feathers; the goanna was released, well away from the hens. Check out those claws!
Sure am glad we don't have those guys around here!

hide.gif

That sure is an ugly cat.

Back
Top Bottom