Do silkies naturally take....

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
Okay yet another question. I have a set of silkies and it seems it is taking them forever to feather out. I have other chickens that I know are younger than they are and they are very close to having all their feathers now. This is the first time for having these little guys so if there is a veteran silkie owner out there who can answer my question and maybe even some other unusual characteristics they might have I would greatly appercaite it.

I'm not a veteran silkie owner, but I have three little guys (or girls, not sure) that are about 6-7 weeks old. I thought it was taking them FOREVER to feather out, compared to my other 16 chickens, but just a few days ago I realized that they ARE feathering out, it just looks so different. Because of their feather structure, their new feathers look so much like their baby fluff/down. It's like when you have a child, or puppy, or anything that grows up and you see every single day. You don't notice the changes because you see that person or animal all the time, but if you step back and look again, you will notice that they indeed are changing and growing.

Mine are close in age to yours. Do you have any pics you can share for a comparision. I have also found it funny that they are so small compared to the other chicks. This is a very unusual breed of bird.

Silkies take much longer to mature, too. You might be confusing "baby" feathers with their actual adult or teenage feathers because they have the unusual "silk" like feathers. When they are getting older, you'll start to see wing feathers that look like the feathers you are used to seeing on other birds. Other than those wing feathers, their adult feathers will be fluffy and silk like.

The definetly have thier wing feathers. So over they are to slow at maturing, and are going to be pretty small compare to most other chickens? Wow this guys are kind of cool.

Quote:
I took this just yesterday. I have three partridge silkies, but won't know the sex of each for a long time. I think that's part of the fun of owning a silkie, the sex-guessing game.

100_1720.jpg

Here is another silkie with an Australorp and Americauna, and my dog Fernie keeping watch.
100_1724.jpg

Might must beyounger then because these guys are tiny compared to yours .I go take a picture so you can see what I am talking about. I will be right back.

Yup, that fluff is their "feathers". We've had silkies for about 4 years now and they will get a couple feather looking "feathers" over time. They aren't as small as bantams, but not as big as standards. They're right between those sizes. My rooster will mate with bantams and standards. It's kind of funny to see him mating with a Light Brahma. They tolerate him nicely. I'm waiting right now for some really cute mixed chickies!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Amy J.

Back
Top Bottom