Do turkey buzzards kill as well as scavange?

Around here we have both turkey and black vultures (the turkey vultures have red faces). The black vultures are known to be more aggressive and are the ones who will go after newborn calves if desperate for food. I've not had any problem with either variety though they both roost about 300 yards away from my house and regularly have flyovers. My chickens generally ignore them which originally concerned me until I realized they can apparently tell the difference between a vulture and a hawk.

everything I've ever read or heard from wildlife rescuers is that Turkey Vultures eat carion (dead flesh). If they are hungry enough and can't find carion they will eat other stuff but not living animals. I had one I put out bread for. They will hang around and wait for an animal to die. Just because they land near an animal doesn't automatically mean they are there to eat it but you should put your netting back up asap anyway. Black Vultures (look like turkey vultures but don't have the red head) will eat animals that are still alive. In general, vultures look for dying or dead animals.

I've lived at my house for a long time, and I see alot of turkey vultures, but I've never had one attack a bird
smile.png

Quote:
they won't even eat a dead cat. they absolutely will not kill one for food. there are stories of them killiing new born animals, but no documented cases that i can find.

Thank you for all the great input... I also did some on-line searching after posting (trusting the first hand experience on this board more than the net) and found the same stuff; they don't kill, etc...

It is a relief to hear that some folks have had them hang around without problems, so I'll keep a close eye and see what happens. We are very accustomed to having them fly over and circle around the fields, and even at times perching in the trees. Prior to having chickens, they didn't bother me at all, infact I appreciate their role. In any case, thanks again, and if I have anything other than neutral behavior, I'll be sure to let you know.
fl.gif

Quote:
Do you have the black vultures in Kentucky or the turkey vultures, and would that make a difference?
hu.gif

I'm glad to find this post. I have tons of turkey vultures that roost in my pine trees at night and I never thought about what they will do when I get my chickens.

Quote:
I don't believe buzzards and vultures are built to do the swooping kills that hawks are so well built to do . Doesn't mean they are going to wait for a dead meal and will not kill a slow , sick , or wounded animal ; and that is basically the signals our domestic animals give off . I certainly would not be convinced that they landed in my pens to just be friends with my animals and ducks and not looking things over for an easy meal .

Back
Top Bottom