Do turkey buzzards kill as well as scavange?

My family has a cattle business and they have problems with vultures going for calves while they are being birthed. So, from experience, I'd say yes. As for killing chickens/ducks/etc... I dont know about that?? Ive never heard such a thing.

We've never had a problem with them bothering the birds, cattle, or anything else.

I'm wondering if maybe the chickens look injured to a turkey vulture? They are domesticated, slow and move a little awkwardly about the property. Wild animals are normally flightier and stick close to cover. Only a sick or injured prey animal would take a nap in the sun far from cover because it felt at home.

Just musing because we have a lot of turkey vultures. They circle and sometimes come in pretty close, but always lose interest when the chickens scatter.

They are not known to kill live animals but better to be safe then sorry. I had the same experience the other day, 4 vultures sitting in a tree by our duck pen.

Usually they like stuff that has been dead awhile. It is easyer to eat
Quote:
I completely agree. I wouldnt worry about them unless you notice them acting strange.
smile.png

My friend watched a vulture come down and rip a chicken threw the chicken wire. She said it happened so fast by the time she got to the coop there was just a mess. After that she gave away the two she had left and has not had chickens since. I did not ask what kind it was but we have both turkey and black ones here.

Also I have heard that where they roost, It gets very, very smelly! I would find a way to make them clear off.
*note* Many people on this thread said they have personally seen them taking chickens and other small defenceless animals so I wouldnt believe all that is on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom