Do WH drakes have mean personality like RIR chickens?

Hunter0704

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Wentzville, MO
Previously, I had four hens and one RIR rooster. He eventually turned really mean and would attack if we walked out of the house, so we had to get rid of him. I haven't seen anywhere on BYC where anyone has mentioned their WH drakes being excessively possessive and/or attacking humans. I'd sure like to know the norm for WH drakes before I get one to breed with my females. Thanks so much for your replies!

In general Welsh Harlequins tend to have laid back temperaments.

Ducks aren't nearly as mean to each other as chickens are. Ducks will almost never attack a human.

However, if you raise a drake like it is something other than a duck, perhaps a toy or a lap dog, you can confuse his identity to the point where he might bite your feet or pant legs. It happens occasionally, with the owners coming around here to complain about it. It's always pampered pets who end up doing it, and it doesn't seem to be a lot of them that do it.

My drake is really sweet. If the girls are napping and I start creeping up to see them, he'll look at me like 'You're not going to bug us right?'. They bully him around all of the time XD he's a big push over with ducks and people. He's also the only duck I can hold without a fuss. He's totally chilled.
cool.png

My Welsh Harlequin drake is a darling... He will chase the two chickens a little and nip at them to let them know he and his ladies get first dibs on certain foods I put out... but mean no way.. The girls Ellie and Daisy are more aggressive than he is.. and they just nip at the two chickens to tell them they are in their space or to move along...
They all get along pretty good.

Thank you all so much for responding to my question. I feel much better now. I am wanting to order a drake from Holderands to breed with my three girls, but wanted to see what other WH owners thought about their drakes personalities. A friendly male drake would be a blessing and one I now look forward to.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Quote:
OB you make me feel so gulity, I raised this new hatched duckling because it's mama wanted to kill it, and now I am paying the price. Everytime I go outside in the duck yard here he comes wanting to start something with me. It has been at least 3 months since he has been coddled or pampered and yet he insists on biting me and trying to start something with me only. I don't want to cull him, I just don't want to have to shove him or put him down everytime I go out into their space. I have taken to using a spray bottle on him when he starts messing with me. My other drake is the perfect gentleman and has never be aggressive towards me at all and Hes been here going on 8 years. I guess I should have just let nature take it's course because I sure didn't intend for this to get like this.
sad.png

Miss Lydia,

Your boy is probably just seeking your attention. Not being able to talk, having a duck run at you or start biting at you is'nt necessarily aggession. Thats how some ducks great each other and he may be trying to see where you stand as far as his dominance in the yard is concerned. IF he IS the dominant male, then he's just letting you know that.

You CAN tell him otherwise by surprising him the next time he "attacks" and yell & wave your arms and move toward him. If you are bigger and louder, to a duck that is what dominance means...He'll back off...and after a couple times doing this he will understand that YOU are the dominant duck and that he must fall in line and let you do what you want. Once you get him past these "test" attacks then you can gain his friendship with food in your hand and work towards him standing still to be touched or even picked up.
Its not your fault...not at all. He's being a drake. Trying to be the head-duck with some aggression is what they do. As much as my drake loves to be scratched and played with, he'll still show me in the way that he knows when he's unhappy. Training him is'nt coddling him as much as its teaching him who he can trust and how to get along.

I tried the spray bottle as well....'till I figured out they liked it.

We have one drake that lives at our pond that will follow people and (in his mind) chase them away....he lowers his beak and starts running toward people as they walk past...until they turn to see what he's doing then he'll turn and head toward the pond again! He's not much on confrontation but his instincts tell him to chase intruders away from his teritory... Absolutely scares the stuff out of the neighbors bratty kid..
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom