Do you eat the ones you love?

Quote:
What I think is that as long as we buy meat from the grocery store........especially the big chains.......we could be getting meat from developing nations such a China, India, or Russia and many other countries with no guidelines and we aren't even told where it's from.......nope.....no labels on some of them.....when you read how they treat their women....just imagine what the animals go through. Then........think of words like ..substandard........black market........salmonalla, tomaine or any other bacteria. I knew a butcher back home and he told me if the cutting tables were ever inspected, which they really aren't they would all be shut down.

Quote:
I respect your opinions and views entirely. Just wanted to point out that there are people who don't have the option of taking a chicken to the vet to be put down. Not all vets will see chickens, even (and for some, especially) to put it to sleep.

Well.........I took one of my girls to the vet a week ago when she sustained and injury. After a bill of 101.50 and 8 xrays this woman informed me she knew nothing about chickens, had never held one but that the xrays showed no breaks. This chicken has been in the house for a week now getting range of motion and traction everyday and love. And btw.......after all that she recommended putting it down.

So even chicken " consumers " try to do the right thing IF they can afford it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I respect your opinions and views entirely. Just wanted to point out that there are people who don't have the option of taking a chicken to the vet to be put down. Not all vets will see chickens, even (and for some, especially) to put it to sleep.

Thank you. I know, the vet bills can get really bad sometimes, and I guess I never thought of some vets not seeing chickens. I'd probably find myself driving for 2 hours to find one who would see a chicken, and selling a few things to pay for it if I couldn't get the money together at the time. I had to put our 2 guinea pigs, Peanut and Butter, down - and just for those 2 guys, it was about $100. This economy has made the whole situation with animals worse. There is so much people have to cut out, like some vet visits, etc. just to keep their heads above water. Scary times.

I think we may have an interesting new member here.
smile.png
lau.gif

There are rules on BYC and things we can't do. Arguing or even debating the morality
of eating animals has lead to many an arguement and locked post. As a new member
you can get away with what you just did. It was brilliant. Well done!!!

Oh, I'm a Scorpio. Does that mean I shouldn't eat scorpions?
roll.png

Hi Purple Chicken.

I didna' start it.

I'm a Libra.

Hardly ever eat ... librarians.

Too dry.​

I grew up on a farm ..where we met what we 'et
hmm.png

In fact, I named most of them
tongue.png

Currently, I have "foofoo" chickens and I don't think they are worth the trouble of processing ..but if they were a little bigger and meatier, they would be humanely slaughtered and deliciously prepared for my family to consume
wink.png

I'm a total city person and our chickens came to our home for 2 purposes only: pets and egg-laying.
big_smile.png
I'm just not the type to raise what I eat and I don't think anything of people who do.

Has been an ongoing "debate" here in the house.
My husband still mentions that the girls, once they stop laying will be in the pot. I can tell you that there is no way any of my girls are going to be on the plate or in a bowl. They are pets and egg producers. They stop producing and they live in retirement til they die of old age. I will just get chicks and start over. And "hide" my older girls:D

As far as it changing my diet goes. I will still eat chicken.
So far. But I have to admit that it has not been showing up on the menu as much over the last few weeks. We have been eating more fish. I have never been big on eating any meat with the bone still in.
And it isnt like I dont know where it comes from. I went to an agricultural school before it swung away from producing it's own chicken, beef, pork, mutton and milk. I will admit that I dont eat veal because of the process. So there is a chance i will stop eating chicken. And after seeing and hearing some things about the rest of the meat processes and such. I might just become a vegetarian. And only eat what I produce out of my own garden.

Last edited:
Not me! I don 't eat my babies. I've been mostly vegetarian for awhile, but now I'm full fledged. I always felt guilty about eating chicken, then REALLy stopped once I got my crew.
I can't remember the last time I ate cow or pig muscle. 25 plus years ago? The thought of it literally turns my stomach.

As far as vet care, I spent over $200 on my 6 week old chick Francine who was euthanized bc of cancer.

I love my animals..

Let me add this though...in a perfect world, no animals would be mistreated or eaten, but I know there are those out there who don't care as much as I do. But if an animals is raised humanely, the way it's supposed to be grown, and humanely euthanized, then I'm ok with those animals being eaten. I'd rather them go humanely then the way they're slaughtered in factories, etc.,

But again, in MY perfect world, there would alot more animals and alot less people!
wink.png

Last edited:
If you ask my 9yr. old she will tell you we don't eat family members!!!
As for the vet I tryed at least 8 and not 1 would see " just a duck" Well Dimmi is not just a duck! Got one on Cherry Hill NJ. What A vet! I don't know if I'm allowed to post his name
but I would like to.

Back
Top Bottom