Do you get chicken mites on you often?

Chicken mites will not complete the life cycle on a human, but they will sure try. They can make you really itchy. Get some Tea Tree Oil shampoo and keep it around, have a shower with that use it as shampoo and body wash if you have mites on you.

I love DE and my chickens have it all the time but it will not prevent or cure red poultry mites. Lice it works on great. I gather from some that it works on the other types of mites but sure never helps in this area. Rotenone is the organic safe way to kill them off, Sevin is not to be used anywhere near food so assuming these are egg layers in your flock don't use Sevin. All birds need to be dusted at once and again 10 days later to get effective control as eggs will have hatched out. After that just as needed. Putting some cedar in the bedding is good too, not more than 10% or it can be irritating to the chickens but bugs sure don't like it. When it's hard to find I just use cedar oil, most aromatherapy places or essential oil dealers have it.

Common sense is your friend here, to think that 5% sevin in the nests isn't safe is bad information here. It is used in the garden on garden produce with some guidelines. I don't believe there is anyone here that hasen't bought produce in a grocery store. I assure you it has been sprayed with 5% sevin, and you are ok?

People who promote DE need to realize that other methods of prevention work also, and in most cases better, while your methods work well, mine do too. Strong arm anti-5% sevin dust isn't necessary.

bigzio

I am not anti Sevin, if its needed. DE is ok for prevention and 5% Sevin is good when you have an active infestation. DE is not a cure-all, as some would have you believe and I would never say that. When I buy feed and it on occasion has bugs on getting it home, I put a cup of DE in the bag, stir it around and the next day, all the bugs are dead. It's great for preserving the integrity of the feed that way. You can't put Sevin in the feed, so DE has a leg up there. That and putting it in the straw in the nests are my main uses for DE. I also have been known to add some cedar shavings under the straw in the nests to help deter bugs as well.

Where can I get the food grade DE I am reading about. I am so paranoid of getting the lice/mites that I have been in an itching frenzy since reading all about it! I use DE in my pool filter, is that the same??

I own sevin, but thankfully have not had to use it. I buy Stall Dry, which is a blend of diatomaceous earth (food grade) and clay. Straight food grade diatomaceous earth is hard to find around here, but the feed stores always have stall dry. It keeps flies at bay, as well. I just sprinkle some every now and then in their run, where they dirt bathe.

Last edited:
We have never had mites and we don't use anything. We just clean the coupe once a week extra well with dawn soap and the hose. Rinse extra well and the girls stay out of the way whiel we are doing it and as they free range the coupe dries. We haven't had any issues with this method. Thank God!

I perfer going with natural methods, sometimes they take an extra 30 mintues and an extra dose but they do work!

Though I'm awful with names there are chemicals in both DE and Seven that are KNOWN factors for causing tumors in rats, mice and live stock and even humans. They are just considered low enough in percentage to be "safe".

Any chemical that is man made and engineered runs risk of issues. dawn soap has proven to have NO reverse effects on the critters.

I don't believe in using these chemicals though naturally it is your choice. I especially don't believe when I know with just a little extra work from me they are completely avoidable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom