Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

We switched from wood shavings to sand except for in their nesting-sleeping area. I just love the sand. It's so clean, no smell and so easy to clean. I use a long handled cat litter scoop and everyday I scoop it out just like a big cat little box. If it gets wet it stays solid like and will help to avoid frost bite in the winter. I am so glad I switched to sand.Just be sure you get the kind that is washed and not the play sand and not real fine sand. It can cause respiratory issues.But their feet stay clean and it's just great.Just thought I'd share with you:)

Mine have a tractor and if they choose to stand in the rain rather than hide under their coop or go in it than I'm not crawling in their to stop them!

My run isn't big enough to force them in. They love the rain. I'm worried about when it gets cold though. I had to make a silkie run where they can't be in the rain. One of them gets soaked and shivers. She's not too bright. LOL

My 4 will stand out in the rain and spend the sunshiny day in the coop! We had a severe thunderstorm and there they were, standing tall, almost like statues (I think so the rain could run off).

What age are we talking. I have 4 week old Buff Orps and Black Austrolops and they come out of the coop daily but don't know if I should open up the door during rain. I think they would be ok and they can take cover underneath the coop if need be.... just wondering

What age are we talking. I have 4 week old Buff Orps and Black Austrolops and they come out of the coop daily but don't know if I should open up the door during rain. I think they would be ok and they can take cover underneath the coop if need be.... just wondering
Welcome to BYC.

At four weeks they may be too young yet to trust that they know enough to get out of the rain when needed. If they had a broody watching over them then yes the mom will watch them. Wait a couple more weeks till they are fully feathered and their bodies have become fully self regulating.

You should have seen my broody hen with her four-day-old chicks out foraging in the snow this March. They'd all go skittering around playing in the snow, then pop back under Mama to warm up. Remember, chickens are wearing down parkas 24/7.
"Down Parkas 24/7"... perfect ;) I am new and I worry too--glad to hear this! (My chicks are arriving Tuesday!)

DogCatChickMom--Don't forget, your baby chicks will need a draft-free brooder at the appropriate temperature for their age.. It's different with chicks that are with Mama--she regulates their temperature so you don't have to!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom