Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

Hi,
New to the site, but I always thought that sand would be great because of that kitty litter scooping thing you do, but what specific sand do you use and where do you get it and do you think it would be problematic if you mixed in just a little pine shaving to get the pine smell? Thanks RBD7

rbd7, I get fine "play sand" from Home Depot,for play ground sand boxes, and mix it with food grade diotomaceous earth and wood ash from our fire place. It's got a little grit and a lot of dust. It keeps them pretty happy and clean!

What about them getting soaking wet when it is cold? Mine were out today when it was 40 degrees and raining. They looked like drowned rats. I was so afraid that when the temp drops at night, they will be damp and freeze.

What about them getting soaking wet when it is cold? Mine were out today when it was 40 degrees and raining. They looked like drowned rats. I was so afraid that when the temp drops at night, they will be damp and freeze.
They'll be fine. Average winter temps here are between 30 and 50 degrees. Rain is almost constant. The birds really don't seem to mind. If they get too wet, the seek shelter.

Mine will go out in the rain and stay out until it rains really hard. They just want out!!! lol
*I should add they are full grown hens. Not chicks!

Last edited:
Yes, I let my chickens out in the rain. I have both a front and side porch, and an old dog house left behind from previous deceased dog, so they find their own cover when its raining really hard and decide not to run back to their coop but need cover.

My chickens love the run weather it's raining or not,but they do tend to go inside when it's heavy they love to play in the puddles that get made ,I sometimes dump bucket of water in there run in one spot so they can cool off and cuz they love it,but I use wood pune shavings in coop and in run its dirt so we put some fresh grass on top but they also have a corner were there is sand for them to lay in they live it

Back
Top Bottom