Do you play favorites? Admit it....it's OK....I won't tell the others....

For logical, breeding favourites:

Yes. A good breeding hen(s) or Roos deserve the extra attention whether in time or food preparation. If there's one with a special marking I may do so as well, as it may produce some interesting chicks (though I wouldn't breed them back into my main flock).

As for emotional favourites:

Depends. Usually no when it comes to a non-pet all-purpose flock.

I usually keep "runts" as pets and of course the prettiest birds too!
wink.png

My 3 EE's and my tiny little Bilbette. I just love my EE's personalities and I adore my tiny Bilbette. She is easily the smallest chicken I have ever seen. The rest of the flock is much bigger than her so she has a hard time snatching any treats. My big fatty's will swipe whatever she gets straight out of her beak. I'll usually throw a couple treats one way to distract the big girls then toss one to her. :) She does the snatch and grab and starts clucking away with it in her beak. lol She's strictly a pet but if she ever goes broody I *might* be able to fit 1 or 2 eggs under her.

My 3 EE's

Bilbette :)

Here she is beside some of my big girls. They're also a week younger than her. That's Betty (SLW), Lady and I believe Amelia. I can't tell a couple of the Reds apart unless I can see the back of their "necklace" as I call the ring of light feathers around their necks.

No, of course not. I would never play favorites. All chickens are equal. Molly BA is no more special than Lola LF Black Cochin. Simone Favorelle is on equal status with Rhoda RIR. They may have a pecking order, but I don't recognize it. All are equal. Nobody is more special than anybody else.

They might as well be identical. All fifty some hens, twenty some tweenaged chicks, the turkeys, geese and ducks. No special treatment. Nope, not any.

....oh, man, I can't keep THAT up!... :lau

Sparkle the House Silkie and Alice the Silver Sebright are my special girls, with Simone and Molly right behind them in my affections.

I haven't got my chickens just yet but i visit a freind-of-mine's chickens everyday. I favor a old mixed-breed hen named Henretta, she is very sweet. Sorry i don't have any pics

We have 18 hens and 6 different breeds. By FAR, my favorite is our little Brahma, Napoultreon Bonaparte (named by my 21-year-old son; go figure). She is so friendly, always the first to run over to you and hop into your lap. She gets along well with the other girls and is usually pretty amenable to being picked up and held. Now, if I could say the same for Georgia Mae, our white Plymouth Rock -- Georgia is on the other end of the scale. She will not win any personality awards anytime soon. ;-)

ChickenFox I have a really small black copper maran hen like that too!! We always laugh at her poor thing. It's just so odd! Your chickens are so pretty! And Silkiesandco I chuckled a good bit at that picture!! Too funny and cute!! I have a Barred Rock hen that I tend to favor a little. I didn't name any of them because I have too many animal names to remember already! Lol

Back
Top Bottom