Do you play favorites? Admit it....it's OK....I won't tell the others....

Oooh....Quincy is GORGEOUS!

Broody Judy looks like a cranky old bat - funny how you can see it in her face.

Poor, poor Shake and Bake....Duuuuude....I bet you hate the holidays!
lau.gif

Lots of beautiful and spoiled chickens!

My favorite is Professor Fluffles, the oldest of the silkies. My eight-year-old daughter came up with the name. The Professor all filled out now while the younger ones are still stuck with half adult feathers and half baby fluff. Besides being gorgeous, she loves being held. She'll fall asleep on my lap if I stroke her back. The funny thing is that she won't eat out of my hand, nor will she approach me herself, but lets me approach her and pick her up. Here's the most recent portrait I have, taken last week:

Last edited:
Lots of beautiful and spoiled chickens!

My favorite is Professor Fluffles, the oldest of the silkies. My eight-year-old daughter came up with the name. The Professor all filled out now while the younger ones are still stuck with half adult feathers and half baby fluff. Besides being gorgeous, she loves being held. She'll fall asleep on my lap if I stroke her back. The funny thing is that she won't eat out of my hand, nor will she approach me herself, but lets me approach her and pick her up. Here's the most recent portrait I have, taken last week:

Oh my - she looks very refined - beautiful chick!

When I had chickens(which I dont anymore
hit.gif
) My fave girl was a silkie named Belle.(Now passed) She was blind in one eye, and she enjoyed being held. Belle always weighed less than the other chickens so what I did was made two plates filled with applesauce and oatmeal, put one plate outside, took Belle inside the coop and closed it, then fed the the other plate full to her. And she was clucking happily while she was eating her treats. She was happy she had it all to herself!
pop.gif
(p.s. the image on the left thats my avatar picture, thats Belle.)
I have a white buff called Sugar who is blind in one eye! I treat her the same way. Always saving her treats so the others don't steal them from her and making a little pill away from the others. It's sad to see her get pushed around but I don't think she knows that. She's just not quick enough and by the time she realises what's going on, bam, all the treats are gone. She is so funny to watch though!
1f60a.png

Out of 11 Buff Orpington girls, one of them stuck out and had decided that I am her's. Her name is Tuti. I couldn't tell them apart early on, so I put a purple leg band on her. Over time, she had developed a special cluck for me so I don't even need to check their legs anymore to see if I'm sweet talking the right one. Oh, she loves to be held! She likes to sit on my knee and she loves to give me kisses. We cuddle often, but boy oh boy, if another hen wants to sit on my knee, she has a fit. Mostly, the others (including New Hampshires, RIRs, Dominikers and Silkies) go about doing their chicken thing. I really enjoy sitting with all the girls, gossiping and chit chatting. One of the RIRs wants to cuddle - but I'm not welcome to pick her up. They all come running when they see the feed bucket though! I'm happy with that and I have to giggle when they run towards me...it tickles me to see them waddle/run. Tuti is the special one. I love my Tuti and apparently, the feeling is mutual.

My chicks are 7 weeks and really starting to develop personalities. I do have a favourite despite promising myself I wouldn't. She is a Barred Rock and the smallest of the four that I have. Her name is LadyBug and she sits on my shoulder and grooms my hair. She is very gentle and the only one that doesn't protest when she gets picked up. She just settles in and sits on my lap.

countrychicken00 and AllForSugar - how do you tell she is blind? I have a buff orpington who is very slow when it comes to seeing things, and it takes her 8-9 tries to get a piece of corn or sunflower seed on the ground.

I have 4 rhode island reds. Total of 48 chickens, and 50 ducks. One of the RIR I call her "onry brat". She pecks at the dogs, my toes, and bullies the others in her clique. Shes my kinda brat. The other favorite, ive got a rouan duckling with two crests, brave lil duck that comes right
to me to get the best seat for snacks.

countrychicken00 and AllForSugar - how do you tell she is blind? I have a buff orpington who is very slow when it comes to seeing things, and it takes her 8-9 tries to get a piece of corn or sunflower seed on the ground. 

My girl is slow aswell! I know she is blind because she was attacked by some older girls when she was little and her eye must have been damaged. Her eye is cloudy, sunken in a little bit and when other girls stand on that side of her she doesn't know it until they peck her. I can pretty mich touch her eye aswell and she doesnt notice. She also runs funny, follows fence lines and runs out of her way to get places, as in runs out wide, I figure to miss any structures, trees etc. she also tilts her head to one side to look for bugs and treats. Whereas the other girls look straight down with both eyes. She often gets left behind aswell because she doesnt see her friends leave. I can post a picture of her eyes if you want. Hope that helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom