Do you play favorites? Admit it....it's OK....I won't tell the others....

I never thought I would play favorites with my chickens as they are all special to me. So everybody always got treated the same. However that all changed a couple of years ago. I have a Black Australorp named Miss Molly that at 6 months old developed a horrid case of sour crop. She suffered with this "thing" for 2 months as I treated her. She nearly died. But all during this time, I guess all the attention I was giving her, she not only started to become very close to me, but affectionate as well. Before this episode, she was very shy around me, even running from me. However, she even learned her name, (because I was always calling her to come to me) and she also became the biggest "lap baby" around. Still to this day, all I have to do is say, "Come here Miss Molly" and pat on my lap and she will come running and hop on my lap. Never fail. She just loves my attention and will sit with me for long periods of time. And she is protective of my lap as well, as if some other gal is on my lap, she will beak them right off.

So long story short, she has become my favorite. She is a little over two years old now and is a bigger baby than ever before. Here is a pic of her and another gal, Hilda. Miss Molly is on the right...

Wow - she's a real trouble magnet! I have one like that - unfortunately it's my 9 year old son.....
yuckyuck.gif

I think it is touching that we humans naturally want to protect the weakest. That is our strength and gives me more faith in my fellows. I so enjoy the people on Backyard Chickens and their relationships with their flocks. Thank you for sharing.

Amen! I've grown very attached to my chickens in our short time together. I love talking to the other chicken-lovers out there who take their responsibility seriously. Most people I know think I'm crazy to enjoy having chickens.
idunno.gif

I truly enjoy this forum with the clean entertainment it provides - I spend lots of time laughing & smiling when I'm on BYC
big_smile.png
BYC shows me there are lots of people just like me - people who love their animals with all of our hearts & aren't ashamed of it. We are just a big family separated only by miles
smile.png

He's a French Black Copper Marans. He's not show quality though - of course that doesn't diminish him in my eyes
love.gif

He is such a good rooster, and his crow is like music!

I love all of my chickens, and despite popular belief, they all have their own little personalities.
But, my favorite it ' Annabella '. She is a coronation sussex, she is in with her 6 x sisters and ' king George '. While they all eagerly await my presence and run to the gate when they see me, my little Annabella stands on my feet so I have no choice but to pick her up. Originally she was the runt, but she is thriving now.

I love all of my chickens, and despite popular belief, they all have their own little personalities.
But, my favorite it ' Annabella '. She is a coronation sussex, she is in with her 6 x sisters and ' king George '. While they all eagerly await my presence and run to the gate when they see me, my little Annabella stands on my feet so I have no choice but to pick her up. Originally she was the runt, but she is thriving now.
Adorable! And I love those names
big_smile.png
Got a pic of Annabella?

My favorite girls are 2 silkies named named Pappy and Grandma. After my grandma and pappy! And they are on the top of the pecking order. They are over the BO and leghorns. I think they let them on the top. Grandma is a feisty little girl. She is a jumper! And Pappy is cool as a cucumber! LOL ! I could hold him for hours

My favorites are my girls Jetta and Lorraine. Jetta is a feather footed cochin and Lorraine is my Buff Orpington. Jetta is very laid back and likes to be held. Lorraine is sassy and follows me around waiting for more treats and attention. She's super quick and always steals treats from the other girls but I can't help but laugh at her enthusiasm when she succeeds. Both the girls will eat out of my hand and I take them out of the coop to play in the yard. I give them extra treats and even go worm hunting with them. Seeing these two is typically a highlight of my day.They never fail to make me smile.

Back
Top Bottom