Do you play favorites? Admit it....it's OK....I won't tell the others....

I have had three favorites:
May, a silver duck wing Serama hen. I bought her from a breeder in Orting, WA at nine months of age. She was supposed to be a show bird, but she turned out to be a pet instead. She was very calm and fearless. She would often go shopping with us, whether riding in the cart, or being smuggled in my purse. Sometimes I would put her in the padded computer pouch in my book bag and take her to school. Although May was never aggressive towards people, she hated the stained-glass floor lamp from day one and would make it a daily habit to challenge it, and when it insulted her by not responding, she would fly at it and flog it in revenge. She had run of the house, even when the dogs didn't. It took her three days to have the resident Italian Greyhounds cowed. When May went broody at eleven months, soon the dogs avoided her entirely. Not too long after that, seven young Serama were marching around the house, creating plenty of chaos. After that, part of my bank account was siphoned into the construction of an outdoor pen. Sadly, just a few days ago, she got carried off by a hawk. Now I carry a broom whenever I supervise the chickens free ranging.

Mira was a carmel-pied Serama pullet. She was May's daughter, and hatched on day 27. I ended up helping her out of the egg, and then hand feeding her for two days. She couldn't walk, and I was told she probably wouldn't live to three days of age. But she kept on fighting, and grew and survived just fine, even if she was a bit stunted. But at four months of age, she ate some mushrooms that were in the yard, and died the next day, along with two of her siblings and the mature rooster, Fire aka Fire and Ice.

Flash is a silver phoenix pullet who is around fifteen weeks of age. She is flighty and hard to catch, but is very sweet and curious with personality to spare. She is bonded to my twelve week old Buff Orpington Hazel, and is fiercely protective of her. I've taught Flash to walk on a leash.

We have 18 hens and 6 different breeds. By FAR, my favorite is our little Brahma, Napoultreon Bonaparte (named by my 21-year-old son; go figure). She is so friendly, always the first to run over to you and hop into your lap. She gets along well with the other girls and is usually pretty amenable to being picked up and held. Now, if I could say the same for Georgia Mae, our white Plymouth Rock -- Georgia is on the other end of the scale. She will not win any personality awards anytime soon. ;-)
Napoultreon!!! LOL!!!! that is so cute

I definitely have a favourite - Charity, my Red Star hen. I hand-raised her from when she was a day old. Within a week she responded to her name and jumped into my lap on command. She was so cute! She still loves getting held or sitting in your lap. She's at the bottom of the pecking order now and sometimes gets bullied. Looking back, I guess if I hadn't doted on her so much she wouldn't be so dependent on me to make sure she gets her fair share of food and water. But I couldn't help it!

clap.gif
Yay! I have a chicken namesake out there
big_smile.png
She is a beauty!

I have a few favorites... Theres:

Einstein (Delaware, totally friendly, can pick her up, pet her, just clucks... silly girl!!)
(She's the one in the Background.. In the Foreground is Jane)

And Jose: (another Fav. Del.)

And Naughty, my Fav. Muscovy duck.. Named so because he "needs" to play in the water whenever it's on, and it's so cute!
(To catch him he's pretty wild, but then he calms down when you are holding him...)

And my all time fav chicken (who sadly died of Wryneck last year... :( ) Grace..

Last edited:

Well this is Bradley "Cooper". He comes to the house every evening to come in. He hops up on my love seat, next to me and snuggles down to sleep for the night. He doesn`t poo in the house, good boy. I let him have some mommy time for about 20 minutes then I take him back to his sleeping place at the barn where his wife lives (but he taught her to come to the house for visits too). I love this guy. Oh he also knows his name, comes when called and is good with our cats and dobermans. Maybe I should say the cats and dobermans are good to him.. I bought him as an adult this past spring (at an Amish auction) so I don`t know anything about him but hes quite tall and much bigger then my other blue silkie rooster. He makes beautful babies!

Well this is Bradley "Cooper". He comes to the house every evening to come in. He hops up on my love seat, next to me and snuggles down to sleep for the night. He doesn`t poo in the house, good boy. I let him have some mommy time for about 20 minutes then I take him back to his sleeping place at the barn where his wife lives (but he taught her to come to the house for visits too). I love this guy. Oh he also knows his name, comes when called and is good with our cats and dobermans. Maybe I should say the cats and dobermans are good to him.. I bought him as an adult this past spring (at an Amish auction) so I don`t know anything about him but hes quite tall and much bigger then my other blue silkie rooster. He makes beautful babies!
He's gorgeous!

I started with 12, then got 6 more, had two die. I own a dog boarding business, and one of the boarders got ahold of two more. I ended up having to kill 6 because they were starting to have heart issues (cornish rocks). Out of the 8 left, I have two white hens, three mixed hens, and Grouchy (the rooster for them). I also have my two favorites, they are reds. They are Dan and Little Ann (after the book "Where The Red Fern Grows". Those are my babies, and are spoiled rotten. So much so that even though they are seperate from the others (they stay in the same coop but are not allowed in with the regular group), that when I go outside to give them their treats, and check on them, Dan and Little Ann meet me at the gate. If I don't dish out the meal worms fast enough Dan is jumping up, pecking at the container, and then tries to swallow my finger. I spread scratch out, and stand there to make sure that they do not get run off of their feed. I put treats out and I make sure they have first dibs on it. I recently (a month and a week ago) got 30 more babies, two passed away, so now we have 28 babies, and you could tell when I moved them outside that my Dan and Little Ann were worried that they had been replaced. They quickly learned that they still have my heart, but I'm wondering how long it will be before the Cochins, Cornish, Phoenix, Plymouth Rock Partridge's, Rhode Island Red's, and Speckled Sussex's begin to take a little higher stance and I wonder if I will have issues with jealousy.... But yes, I definitly have my favorites. LOL

Back
Top Bottom