Do you play music for your chickens?

Our girls definitely respond to different songs. Was first noticed at a few weeks old. They LOVED One Republic"s Somebody to Love. Hubby plays them a lot of classic rock. A rooster we had to rehome went to a farm that plays country 24/7 for the chickens. I might have to integrate permanent music for them. Our girls are so spoiled. New chicken owners. Didn't know they'd be so cool.

A "rick roll" classically has meant that someone gives you an internet link to click on but rather than the link being what you expect it to be for, you are shown a video of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up." People have gotten really creative with the joke over the years, like turning graphics from the music video into beautiful artwork that when you look more closely at it you realize what you're really looking at. I once made my Dad a "mix cd" with a track list of some of his favorite songs, but when he listened to it they were actually all various remixes of "Never Gonna Give You Up." Not his favorite CD but it made him laugh.

When the guys get into their early morning or mid-afternoon crowing contest they will stop if misic is played. It would be great to have something that automatically turns on music when the instigater first crows. Maybe one of those clap-on clap-off things will work. We'll see.

When the guys get into their early morning or mid-afternoon crowing contest they will stop if misic is played. It would be great to have something that automatically turns on music when the instigater first crows. Maybe one of those clap-on clap-off things will work. We'll see.
That's such a great idea!! I wonder if one of those Alexa bluetooth thingies would work... I bet there's something out there that switches on when it hears baby noises, probably would work with other noise too like roosters crowing.

When I have chicks in a brooder, or a bird in isolation (usually broody jail) I set an old radio next to the cage w the classical station on to keep them company. Baroque music, for example, has that quick repetitive beat and I think they can relate to that…
I sing to the flock quite a bit, being careful to avoid any tune w loud rising notes that would in any way resemble crowing. Our rooster doesn’t see me as a threat and I want to keep it that way. 🙃

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom