Do you play music for your chickens?

When I have chicks in a brooder, or a bird in isolation (usually broody jail) I set an old radio next to the cage w the classical station on to keep them company. Baroque music, for example, has that quick repetitive beat and I think they can relate to that…
I sing to the flock quite a bit, being careful to avoid any tune w loud rising notes that would in any way resemble crowing. Our rooster doesn’t see me as a threat and I want to keep it that way. 🙃
What a nice way to brighten up their confinement! I haven't had to do that yet because these are my first chickens but now I know what to do when it inevitably happens!

That's such a great idea!! I wonder if one of those Alexa bluetooth thingies would work... I bet there's something out there that switches on when it hears baby noises, probably would work with other noise too like roosters crowing.
The clap-on, clap-off thing is inexpensive and readily available, but it needs a certain sound frequency and duration and decibel level. I suspect the crow would work but am not sure. Alexa-like options also require a certain frequency, duration and deciele level. The sensor could be customized to recognize a crow. There are plenty of people who could do that but I am not one of them. All I can offer is the idea.

Last edited:
So my neighbor's son works out of his Dad's garage during the day and absolutely 'blasts' outlaw country. And I mean loud, like you're right next to it loud. I was in the middle of acclimating my chicks to the coop the first week I started noticing it and I was a bit annoyed, thinking the noise could be unnerving to them.

Since I was back and forth checking on them all day for the first week I realized they behaved differently during different songs, and it seemed like they were having a really good time. One day I was sitting next to the run and they heard his extra loud car down at the street and started getting super excited like how they do for treats!! I think it's hilarious how they all run around and flap/hop and play with each other during the heavier songs and lay in a big cuddle pile for the ballads.

I didn't tell my husband what I have been observing because he already thinks I'm a nut. He just caught them playing around to Charlie Daniels and he thought it was so funny he came to tell me about it, so it made me think... am I not crazy? Lots of birds visibly enjoy music, so why not chickens? Do you ever play music for your chickens? If so, what do they like? I'm very curious!!
I play it for the babies and they prefer country or gospel over anything else. It’s funny to watch then when songs come on they like.

The clap-on, clap-off thing is inexpensive and readily available, but it needs a certain sound frequency and duration and decibel level. I suspect the crow would work but am not sure. Alexa-like options also require a certain frequency, duration and deciele level. The sensor could be customized to recognize a crow. There are plenty of people who could do that but I am not one of them. All I can offer is the idea.
Scratch that. It didn't work. A cemani rooster can belt out a crow right in front of a Clapper switch anf it doesn't go on.

I'm glad it's not just my girls that like music! They get so excited when I bring my little bluetooth speaker out and put it where I'm working (usually near the coop) and they all settle down and just watch what I'm doing when the music starts. Classic rock, modern country, blues, even electronic music...I think they just like the sounds. I feel bad if I go out for a short time and don't bring the music. I swear they look at me with the "dude, where's the radio?" glance.

I'm glad it's not just my girls that like music! They get so excited when I bring my little bluetooth speaker out and put it where I'm working (usually near the coop) and they all settle down and just watch what I'm doing when the music starts. Classic rock, modern country, blues, even electronic music...I think they just like the sounds. I feel bad if I go out for a short time and don't bring the music. I swear they look at me with the "dude, where's the radio?" glance.
Mine are 19 weeks old now and they still get excited when they hear my neighbor's son's car pull up, it must not just be a baby thing. They've been sick for about a week and they just heard him pull up and that's the first time I've seen them get the zoomies since they took ill.

We put speakers in the run. Our chickens without fail have responded well to music. The right selections can calm them down or engage them where their main activity is listening attentively. They’ll find a spot and settle down for the show, like humans on the lawn at an outdoor concert. It really helps to settle restless chicks.

My husband worked it so that the chickens in the run, the chicks in the brooder in the house and the humans in the rec room can all listen to the same live streaming concert.

Each brooder group seems to have a particular connection to certain artists, but they all love music in general. It’s a big part of our lil’ homestead.

My chickens chilled HARD when Skyrim ambience was playing in their coop! I was trying to study and I sat near the coop to listen to their purrs and chirps to help focus and decided to play Skyrim ambience music too and they all froze, gathered, and sat near me and started making quiet happy sounds! I bought them a little radio today!

Back
Top Bottom