Do you think chickens would like a playhouse?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
Don't laugh, please 😂 but I'm in full on run renovation and I'm wondering whether chickens would use a playhouse at all. I'm adding a large sheltered dust bathing area, compost heap and have plans for a tree roosting platform, as well as pallets, roosting bars, tires, swing etc. Yes, I've gone a bit overdrive, but it happens, right?! Building the run is turning out to be such an arduous and lengthy task that I need something fun to focus on at the same time 😂. We have a very old playhouse we found on Freecycle years ago that's kind of big, and it's super open and doesn't provide much shelter so they pretty much ignore it, wander through but that's about all mostly except on very rainy days they shelter in it a bit if it's not windy. My guys have two Eglu coops which they use ONLY to lay and go to bed (they really don't like them much), and I'm not looking to convert a playhouse into a coop, but I was wondering whether they would enjoy using something like the photo attached, just for the sake of using it....could possible elevate it and put a floor on it? I found this one at a very good price for a playhouse so thought it might be worth giving it a whirl? Input as well as your favorite run features appreciated 😊

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.52.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.52.18 AM.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 51
Don't laugh, please 😂 but I'm in full on run renovation and I'm wondering whether chickens would use a playhouse at all. I'm adding a large sheltered dust bathing area, compost heap and have plans for a tree roosting platform, as well as pallets, roosting bars, tires, swing etc. Yes, I've gone a bit overdrive, but it happens, right?! Building the run is turning out to be such an arduous and lengthy task that I need something fun to focus on at the same time 😂. We have a very old playhouse we found on Freecycle years ago that's kind of big, and it's super open and doesn't provide much shelter so they pretty much ignore it, wander through but that's about all mostly except on very rainy days they shelter in it a bit if it's not windy. My guys have two Eglu coops which they use ONLY to lay and go to bed (they really don't like them much), and I'm not looking to convert a playhouse into a coop, but I was wondering whether they would enjoy using something like the photo attached, just for the sake of using it....could possible elevate it and put a floor on it? I found this one at a very good price for a playhouse so thought it might be worth giving it a whirl? Input as well as your favorite run features appreciated 😊

When I had my big brooder inside my run (with no chicks in it), my chickens liked to jump up onto it, go inside it for shade, settle down next to it, etc.

So I can see a playhouse making a useful bit of run clutter -- maybe even as a shelter for a feed/water station.

I'd expect that the chickens would more see this as a place to hide than a playhouse, but if you were to set up a nice sand pit inside it, I could see this being a really good dust bathing or resting spot for a hot day.

I'd probably approach this more from a nice looking run clutter perspective. Yea, tipped over lawn chairs or an old dirty trampoline would serve the same purpose, but this looks quite a lot nicer.

On a side note, if you add some grips to the roof, I'd bet your roo (if you have one) would love to stand on top of that thing for his morning crow. I know my boy likes the stump we have in their current run.

just for the sake of using it
These are chickens. Not bored kids. You need to appeal to the natural behaviors of chickens.
Digging.
Scratching.
Preening.
Perching.
Dust bathing.
Sun bathing.
Flying up on things.
And of course, eating and drinking.
They don't like swings. Kids do.
They don't like xylophones. Kids Do. They'll peck them because they are shiny and then lose interest when nothing more interesting happens then it makes a funny noise.

These are chickens. Not bored kids. You need to appeal to the natural behaviors of chickens.
Digging.
Scratching.
Preening.
Perching.
Dust bathing.
Sun bathing.
Flying up on things.
And of course, eating and drinking.
They don't like swings. Kids do.
They don't like xylophones. Kids Do. They'll peck them because they are shiny and then lose interest when nothing more interesting happens then it makes a funny noise.
Idk mine love there perch swings and will sleep on the often

Back
Top Bottom