Do you think chickens would like a playhouse?

When I had my big brooder inside my run (with no chicks in it), my chickens liked to jump up onto it, go inside it for shade, settle down next to it, etc.

So I can see a playhouse making a useful bit of run clutter -- maybe even as a shelter for a feed/water station.
We have a big run with a play house that was given to us for our goats but they didn’t use it so I put it in the coop. When it rains I throw their scratch in there. They love it and sit in the windows. Keeps them shaded a bit too. Actually my hens are always in there hanging out.

I think chickens would adore a playhouse for a coop and the chicken enhancement toys would rock their world. The house below isn't mine, but my first DIY chicken house was built on a similar design with a little less decoration.
The one below was built from a kids plastic play house and as you can see, it translated extremely well into a chicken house.
The nice thing about it? Easy to clean and easy to get pests like chicken mites out of since they don't have places to hide and breed like mites can in wooden structures.

1650170532769.png

Don't laugh, please 😂 but I'm in full on run renovation and I'm wondering whether chickens would use a playhouse at all. I'm adding a large sheltered dust bathing area, compost heap and have plans for a tree roosting platform, as well as pallets, roosting bars, tires, swing etc. Yes, I've gone a bit overdrive, but it happens, right?! Building the run is turning out to be such an arduous and lengthy task that I need something fun to focus on at the same time 😂. We have a very old playhouse we found on Freecycle years ago that's kind of big, and it's super open and doesn't provide much shelter so they pretty much ignore it, wander through but that's about all mostly except on very rainy days they shelter in it a bit if it's not windy. My guys have two Eglu coops which they use ONLY to lay and go to bed (they really don't like them much), and I'm not looking to convert a playhouse into a coop, but I was wondering whether they would enjoy using something like the photo attached, just for the sake of using it....could possible elevate it and put a floor on it? I found this one at a very good price for a playhouse so thought it might be worth giving it a whirl? Input as well as your favorite run features appreciated 😊
I've been wanting to build a play structure for mine, or repurpose a kids playset. I found this on Wayfair: https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/coops-feathers-roosting-bars-frames-cofe1010.html

Don't laugh, please 😂 but I'm in full on run renovation and I'm wondering whether chickens would use a playhouse at all. I'm adding a large sheltered dust bathing area, compost heap and have plans for a tree roosting platform, as well as pallets, roosting bars, tires, swing etc. Yes, I've gone a bit overdrive, but it happens, right?! Building the run is turning out to be such an arduous and lengthy task that I need something fun to focus on at the same time 😂. We have a very old playhouse we found on Freecycle years ago that's kind of big, and it's super open and doesn't provide much shelter so they pretty much ignore it, wander through but that's about all mostly except on very rainy days they shelter in it a bit if it's not windy. My guys have two Eglu coops which they use ONLY to lay and go to bed (they really don't like them much), and I'm not looking to convert a playhouse into a coop, but I was wondering whether they would enjoy using something like the photo attached, just for the sake of using it....could possible elevate it and put a floor on it? I found this one at a very good price for a playhouse so thought it might be worth giving it a whirl? Input as well as your favorite run features appreciated 😊
My girls here in Hawaii love the play structures we put in the run. What else does one do with them when the grandkids out grow them? They provide shade, private time, activity and they seem to play hide and seek too.

Although this isn't in the league of an actual large 'playhouse' for hens, my hubby created this little "fort" with $1. worth of popsicle sticks from the Dollar Store a few years ago for our new baby chicks when they arrived. It was a "playhouse" for them and they loved it! They spent a lot of time playing in and on it.
Now, we have 3 baby chicks arriving tomorrow, and the little fort is already in the brooder for them!
I think chicks and hens love to 'play' with things!

chick_fort_adam copy.jpg

fort_3 copy.jpg

fort_2 copy.jpg

We have a big run with a play house that was given to us for our goats but they didn’t use it so I put it in the coop. When it rains I throw their scratch in there. They love it and sit in the windows. Keeps them shaded a bit too. Actually my hens are always in there hanging out.
sounds perfect!

Back
Top Bottom