Do you think dogs/pets feel the emotion "jealousy"?

Elephants - all anyone has to do is read up on elephants mourning the death of one of their friends - it's so sad. From this link:

2004-07-27
Elephant companions mourn passing of Tina

It's true elephants don't forget.

When 34-year-old Asian elephant and former Northwest pachyderm Tina died last week, her mates appeared to remember her with an unusual display of elephant mourning behavior. The elephants stood vigil at her grave for two days, and when they finally left, one of them marked the spot with a favorite tire. They left the tire there for three days.

"There were footprints all around where Tina lay, and the tire at the center," said Carol Buckley, co-director of the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tenn., where the Portland-born elephant had been living for the past year. "I think we can only touch the surface of the depth of their emotion."

If elephants have long memories, so do those who love them. Tina had been living at the Greater Vancouver Zoo in British Columbia before being transferred to the sanctuary because of a painful, chronic foot condition. Her unexpected death last Wednesday has touched people all over the world.

[snip human nonimportance]

Tina, who delighted in consuming great bunches of grapes, and had bonded with her fellow sanctuary residents, Sissy and Winkie, was a "kindhearted, gentle creature," said Buckley. "She befriended everyone she met."

That may be because her early years were spent at the Vancouver Game Farm, which later became the Greater Vancouver Zoo, where visitors could feed her directly through her fence.

"She was used to very close, physical contact," Buckley said. And she interacted that way with her elephant companions, pushing at them playfully as though testing whether they would get mad.

They didn't. Sissy and Winkie, in particular, were faithful pals who checked in regularly with the less mobile Tina. They were by her side when she died.

Researchers have long puzzled over the apparent grieving behavior elephants exhibit.

In the wild, elephants have been known to cover the bones of other elephants when they come across them. And they often will stay with a dead or dying member of the herd.

"Because they are highly intelligent, highly social creatures, they do create relationships," said Bruce Upchurch, curator of mammals at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, who has worked with elephants for 20 years.

Last Wednesday after Tina died, three of her closest elephant companions entered the stall to touch her face and trunk.

"Winkie kept moving Tina's trunk with her foot, trying to get her to stand up," said Buckley. Sissy and Winkie stayed in the barn with her the whole time bulldozers worked to dig her grave. Then Winkie walked beside the backhoe carrying Tina's body, her trunk touching Tina the whole way.

During the necropsy, Sissy and Winkie were kept behind a fence, where they paced and appeared anxious. When they were released, they returned to the grave and stayed for two days.

After that, they rejoined the rest of the elephants at the refuge, and the whole group huddled "shoulder to shoulder" for a day as though to console one another, Buckley said. Normally, they would have spread out to graze, often within 100 yards of one another.

During that time, Sissy took her own favorite tire up to the grave and left it there.

When one dies, elephants appear to go through a period of acknowledgment and adjustment, Upchurch said.

"The only way we have to describe what we witness (in the elephants) is through human language," he said. "But that might be selling them short."

[snip]

Community Mourns Tina

In the middle of Tina's gravesite in the pastures of Tennessee, there sits an old, battered tire.

After two days of standing by Tina's grave at the Elephant Sanctuary, best friend Sissy finally left Friday morning, leaving behind her favorite tire as a tribute to her friend.

"In the middle of the gravesite, there's elephant prints all over it and in the middle of it is Sissy's tire," said Carol Buckley, director of the Elephant Sanctuary. "Sissy carries a tire around as her pacifier, as her security blanket...and her tire is left on top of the grave."

I have read of other elephant mourning, where they actually cry, tears run down their faces. Animals most definitely do have emotions, some are just better at expressing them.​

My dear Winky was justifiably angry at me for tossing her out of the nesting box the day after she decided to be broody again. But when she realized that I was cleaning the coop and changing the nesting box materials, thats when she went into a tirade of cussing and serious name calling. I knew she had a point. I just didn't realize that a little fluffy bird could be the angry, and say such mean things about me and my mother.

The nice thing about chickens is that they get over things quickly, and don't carry a grudge.

I also have an 17" eel that loves to see me come over and look at it in the tank, I think that it is mostly conditioning using food as a reward for it. It does know the difference between me and DH. I have left for vacation and I know that even the fish in the tank are happy to see me again.

I worry about animals that live with people who don't believe that they have real feelings.

There is enough evidence with the large animals like elephants and orcas, that it is clear there is still much more to learn about them.

WOW! I like the idea of a good debate! I, the original OP, have no doubt in my mind as to the fact that animals have and express a wide range of emotions, many of which USED to be attributed only to humans. My big perplexion was of the emotion of "jealousy". Remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? In which the narrator explains that the tribe of Bushman had never known the emotion "jealousy" until the Coke bottle fell from the sky, and everyone suddenly needed to use it? Just putting that out there.....
tongue.png

I have no doubt that animals (at least the more advanced ones) experience emotions, although I'm sure they experience them somewhat differently than humans. I've seen displays of tenderness and devotion...isn't that what love is? Heck, many humans can't even define love for themselves. I've seen marked examples of what I call jealousy (reactions to being excluded, and attention seeking) from certain animals I've had...reactions not much different from kids (and some adults) exposed to similar situations.
I LOVED that elepant story, and have heard similar stories in the past. I've also read examples here on BYC of pets/animals grieving for animal buddies that have died.

Quote:
I read the story with a lot of interest. I still don't chalk up that experiment with the emotions: jealousy, vengance, embarrassement, in dogs. I can see a dog stop performing when he sees another dog getting food. I don't believe the dog thought "hey I want some payment for this trick", I think, instead the dog was getting distracted by food and then focus wasn't on the trick or the trainer but the food. Its easy to say "hey that dog knows its not fair!" But i doubt that was the cognition involved, if dogs had that kind fo sense of fairness don't you think they would have wanted payment in the first place?

Emotions have evolved as a survival mechanism. Human beings are certainly not "ueber special" and unique in this regard. Yes, I think our pets do experience emotions...larger mammals and avians perhaps to a more acute degree. Are they the exact same thing as what humans experience? On most occasions, I do not believe they have the same intricate and at times convoluted nature...but they are still there regardless.

As far as jealousy...all I know is what I've seen with my own eyes. My cat and dog are constantly vying for my attention. If I am petting him, or someone else is petting him, the Molly-dog will become visibly distressed and needy, and try to nose in. My cat always finds a way to muscle into my lap or lay uncomfortably close to our older cat if I am giving her attention. My Arabian gelding will pace and whicker between standing and staring intently at me when I am working with or grooming my mare. There have been stories of horses attacking boyfriends/girlfriends without any cause other than "their" person was spending an inordinate amount of time not paying attention to them.

I don't know what else I would call this besides Jealousy. Possessiveness? Well, that's jealousy too.

I think certain people like to believe that animals are emotionless dead shells because it makes it easier then to do horrible things to them. It's a cop-out. On what grounds to we base this arrogance that human beings are the only life forms on this planet who "feel". The evidence is all around us that we are surrounded by sentient beings who do not necessarily walk on two legs.

Now, as far as "vengeance" or "meanness without cause"...no, I will have to say (the vast untold majority) of animals do not act sheerly out of spite. If a horse or dog is mean toward a human, it is because they have learned to be offensive in order to, in their mind, protect themselves...it is a behaviour developed from bad past experiences, or derived from pain. I don't believe *any* animal bides it's time in the shadows planning a vindictive act for when their owner should arrive, or deliberately hurts someone for no reason at all other than to be mean.

I knew someone who sold her horse to slaughter because "she reared up and flipped over on purpose just to hurt people". If a horse is doing this, it is either out of pain, fear, or a learned behaviour derived from a fearful/painful experience. NOT pure malice, which I think you would be hard-pressed to find in the animal world.

Last edited:
This is a really good forum and I am enjoying reading the opinions of others, as well as some heart felt stories of how some people have come to conclude that animals do feel emotions and also the opinions of those who do not, respecting the right of everyones personal opinions. I also enjoy sharing my opinions, observations and experiences as well. Both sides share thoughts to be considered. Alot of food for thought for sure, but I am still sticking to my story, dogs do display behaviors of emotions, just as us humans do, I am just not totally convinced that they feel emotions, like jealousy. They display their emotions through their behavior, of course they experience emotions at some level, but feeling them? Yah, dogs have emotions of exhaustion, confusion, anger, frustration, saddness, confindence, mischef, fear, cautiousness, drepression,being overwhelmed, hopeful, lonely, lovestruck, jealousy, boredom, anxietyies, shock and timidness, just to name a few, but do they share the cognitive skills as humans to feel these emotions or do they just express them through behaviors? My opinion, emotions involve thinking, physiological changes, which in turn are expressed through behaviors, at least for us human folks. Does a dog really go through all the stages of emotion? I believe they can experience the emotions and I also believe that dogs are not insensitive to pain and fear, but how do we know that? By their behaviors? Sure, you can tell that a dog appears to be happy to see its owner when it is standing there wagging its tail when you arrive home (its loyalty to it pack leader) just as much as I could say that the dog feels guilty everytime it has an accident in the house. (The dog only feels guilty when confronted by the owner who is not too pleased with the behavior, therfore, displaying signs of submission, otherwise, do you seriously believe the dog thinks about not pleasing its master everytime it has an accident?)

I have raised dogs for almost 41 yrs, and in my life time, I have bonded so deeply with each one and I often find myself to this day occasionally grieving over the emptiness inside of me left behind by their wonderful loyalty, their abililty to comfort and protect through sickness and health, and just the good ol days when we just sat around and enjoyed the presence of one another doing absolutely nothing together but enjoying the peaceful time shared. Yes, I loved each an everyone of them, just as I believed they loved me back just as much. But is love a feeling? Or is it an action of how deeply we feel towards someone or something? I have yet to experience that within my pack of dogs when one of them is no longer with us, displaying the same behaviors as when the event first occurred.

I read in a previous post someones opinion that a dog does not have a soul. Got me thinking on a bunch of different levels which I wont go to, but I do believe that dogs are spirited creatures just like us and have a keen sense of good and bad energies. I have worked in the mental health profession for the past 13 yrs and have used my animals for theuraputic purposes and the healing that is developed in some of my clients is just amazing. On the other hand, I have also seen negative behaviors (barking and growling) come out of my trained theuraputic dog when placed in the same surroundings as a person who is not stablized on their medications but also not displaying any out of the ordinary behaviors, and the dog senses out who it is. (Mind you, the dog is then removed, but how would you explain the reaction of the dog who seldom, if ever, barks or growls at anything?) I have also returned with the same dog around the same person who is then stabilized on their medications and the dog does not pick up on the energies. I believe dogs have wonderful senses, keen senses, sometimes wishing I had their abilities. Does a dog have soul?

My mamma always use to tell me, " Your feelings are neither right or wrong, they are what they be!"
wink.png

Regarding "I think, instead the dog was getting distracted by food and then focus wasn't on the trick or the trainer but the food. Its easy to say "hey that dog knows its not fair!" But i doubt that was the cognition involved, if dogs had that kind fo sense of fairness don't you think they would have wanted payment in the first place?"

Yeah, but I think you are rationalizing. Emotion is largely chemical, so cognition doesn't have that much to do with it. Even if the dog recognizes that the situation has an inequity, you need to have the mechanisms in place for that reaction. My favorite example of this is love. People often assume that is a uniquely human trait, though researchers have conclusively proven that much of it is chemical- and many animals have the same make-up. For example, oxytocin is the chemical that causes the "bonding" in human love (childbirth, other situations). This chemical is abundant in many other animals such as cows (anyone who has cows also knew that already)- and dogs. I'm an Occam's Razor sort of researcher- the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. People have tried for years to demonstrate things like "fish don't feel pain (disproven)" because it is convenient to think so. Modern science is not supporting those views.

When we brought our first daughter home from the hospital, our shepherd, Abby, sat with her head in the corner and wouldn't eat for 2 days. She was withdrawn and horribly depressed for a week, but got over it. I believe they can have complex feelings and stand by it when it comes up in conversation.

I don't believe *any* animal bides it's time in the shadows planning a vindictive act for when their owner should arrive, or deliberately hurts someone for no reason at all other than to be mean.

I do...it happened to me. My neighbor's dog was a very intelligent dog that had never been told no before and basically just did as he pleased. When he killed my rabbits, I complained to his owner but nothing happened...he was over at my place the very next day. He chewed a hole through my garage door to get to my dog and "ride" him....would do the dominance riding maneuver every chance he got. I ran him off the property every time he came over. One time I bought a collar and tie out and fastened this dog to it and to the neighbor's clothesline as a very pointed suggestion...the dog was let off the collar when the neighbor came home...this dog had never worn a collar before. He also could open most doors with his paws, rather like a cat. Often I would drive by his house and see the dog on the roof. Smart dog.

One day I had once again ran him off the property and proceeded to work in my garden. As I was working along I started to notice a strange noise behind me...I turned around to see this dog staring at me straight in the eyes~sort of a challenging glare and stance.

He had walked behind me in the row and snipped off every one of my pepper plants! Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen any dog just walk calmly down a row of peppers and snip each and every one off and lay it down~then stare at you like he was daring you to do something about it.

He was just as defiant and baleful when I took him out to the farm and disposed of him, as advised to do so by the town sherriff.

I adopted a spoiled house cat that would show revenge? or anger? when he was kept outside when he wanted inside. When he finally was let into the house he would run to me, climb up on my chest and bite me on the chin. One time I couldn't get up out of a heavy sleep to let him out (he had just come in a half hour previously), so he squatted on my arm and peed.

If I insisted he stay outdoors and the boys would let him in when I wasn't home, he would go directly to my room and pee on one of my pillows and defecate on the other.

He also took a one way trip out to the farm.

I happen to believe there are animals that are bad eggs and some that are generally more sweet, or good, than others. It really had nothing to do with how they were treated in the past....some of the sweetest animals I've had were ones who had been abused and neglected their whole lives until we adopted them. Some of the worst animals I've seen were the ones who had been pampered and put on a pedestal.

Go figure.​

Back
Top Bottom