Do you think this would work?/ more of my late night questions!

Pics

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
Ok so this kind of ties in to another thread I made about getting silkies/how good are they at free ranging (special thanks to @MysteryChicken , @Amer , @JacinLarkwell and @ChickenCanoe )

Since then, some things have changed

I have realised that unfortunately this probably won't be the year for my Orientals, so I will be focusing on my other projects this spring/year

The one I have already started, which involves my free range mix flock (I was thinking of breeding silkies into them to add broodyness but that won't happen this year if it happens at all)

And now I'm looking to start a second project
In this project my main goal is to select a breed of bantam chickens and try to breed them to the SOP, simple enough, right?

Basically in my coop I have a separate area where these guys will be housed, so no free range on the regular for them, and this is a secure environment

So this time, my question is, which bantam breed is easier to start breeding to the SOP, or which bantam would you recommend for me to start with

My only restrictions?
Preferably a breed that doesn't depend on humans for incubation

Oh and maybe a breed that is at least a little cold hardy, because (weirdly) we have been experiencing some colder winters in Greece, well, at least compared to what we're used to:p

Ok so this kind of ties in to another thread I made about getting silkies/how good are they at free ranging (special thanks to @MysteryChicken , @Amer , @JacinLarkwell and @ChickenCanoe )

Since then, some things have changed

I have realised that unfortunately this probably won't be the year for my Orientals, so I will be focusing on my other projects this spring/year

The one I have already started, which involves my free range mix flock (I was thinking of breeding silkies into them to add broodyness but that won't happen this year if it happens at all)

And now I'm looking to start a second project
In this project my main goal is to select a breed of bantam chickens and try to breed them to the SOP, simple enough, right?

Basically in my coop I have a separate area where these guys will be housed, so no free range on the regular for them, and this is a secure environment

So this time, my question is, which bantam breed is easier to start breeding to the SOP, or which bantam would you recommend for me to start with

My only restrictions?
Preferably a breed that doesn't depend on humans for incubation

Oh and maybe a breed that is at least a little cold hardy, because (weirdly) we have been experiencing some colder winters in Greece, well, at least compared to what we're used to:p
Every breed has a difficulty.

Cochins/pekins seem to fit your description (cold hardy + broody). However, what I would do is look for local breeders that are already breeding for show/breeder quality birds, then it would be much easier to breed them to the SOP as compared to hatchery/pet quality birds that would take a lot more work and time to even get them to the “default” of the breed. You could also choose a solid colored variety to work with, as that would be easier to breed since you would only need to focus on type.

Cochins/pekins seem to fit your description (cold hardy + broody). However, what I would do is look for local breeders that are already breeding for show/breeder quality birds, then it would be much easier to breed them to the SOP as compared to hatchery/pet quality birds that would take a lot more work and time to even get them to the “default” of the breed. You could also choose a solid colored variety to work with, as that would be easier to breed since you would only need to focus on type.
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, its near impossible to find a show breeder in Greece. Its even hard to find these birds in general, to give you an idea, Buff Orpingtons are considered semi rare

Rumplessness, Ear tufts, & Blue eggs are what you mean by odd traits right?
And this is where it gets super confusing, because the European standard calls for beards as well, so that ties in to @JacinLarkwell 's point, but the problem is that the European standard is nowhere to be found! Kind of like the standards for dogs, you have to search everywhere to find them, but unlike dogs I don't really know what to look for when searching for poultry standards, you guys have set it up SO much better, for dogs and poultry alike

And this is where it gets super confusing, because the European standard calls for beards as well, so that ties in to @JacinLarkwell 's point, but the problem is that the European standard is nowhere to be found! Kind of like the standards for dogs, you have to search everywhere to find them, but unlike dogs I don't really know what to look for when searching for poultry standards, you guys have set it up SO much better, for dogs and poultry alike
https://www.entente-ee.com/chicken/

Back
Top Bottom