Documentation of My Project Naked Necks

What are your parent ratios for the pen they came from? I want to raise Showgirls and would like to know more about how dominate the NN gene is.

What are your parent ratios for the pen they came from?  I want to raise Showgirls and would like to know more about how dominate the NN gene is.  

It was 1 Naked Neck rooter and three Easter Egger hens

That is one reason I think the fertility rate should have been higher. Then again I started collecting eggs after two weeks together, so maybe the hens didn't take to the rooster right away. Who knows what chickens think.

I would bet your fertility would have been higher if you had waited a week. I know with a new roo it takes some time (about a week) for the hens to stop being freaked out by his attention! Still not a bad hatch though! I thought that the NN gene was more dominated than that though. Is the roo first generation NN?

I would bet your fertility would have been higher if you had waited a week.  I know with a new roo it takes some time (about a week) for the hens to stop being freaked out by his attention!  Still not a bad hatch though!  I thought that the NN gene was more dominated than that though.  Is the roo first generation NN?

Not sure what generation the he is, he's z hatchery bird.

I can only guess that he carries 1 copy if the naked neck gene. He produces some non NN chicks with the NN hens.

The way I understand it is if they(NN's) don't carry two copies of the NN gene and are heterozygous they will produce something like 50/50 with non naked neck chicks.

What are your parent ratios for the pen they came from? I want to raise Showgirls and would like to know more about how dominate the NN gene is.

Look for a rooster that has little or no bowtie on his neck. That usually means that they carry two copies of the naked neck gene.

The new babies: The Naked Neck ones anyway, 9 of them.

These two look nearly alike. I think a rooster and a pullet.

These three are very similar, I think one rooster and two pullets.

This shot,

and this shot are of the same four. My guess here are at least two (maybe three) roosters and one (maybe two) pullets.

I haven't look that closely at the combs yet to see if they are single or pea. Waiting for them to get a little older so it will be easier t tell.

Edited to add: icture was taken yesterday 10-09-2014 @ 1 week old.

Last edited:
They are precious! I must get me some NN, but I am focusing on my Orps first. The top two are so freakin cute, you can really see the EE in those two!

I really like the bowtie though LOL!

Update: all are doing great from the last hatch. Did loose one but it was a non NN.
Getting ready to put them out if the brooder. They'll still have the heat lamp for a while though.

They are continuing to grow. Put them on the ground but still under the heat lamp for a while. They are loving the dirt and starting to scratch around quite a bit. They are 4 weeks d tomorrow 10-30-2014.

Going to start a new thread. Going to call it the Green Egger Naked Neck Thread. When I get it started I will post it here.

Back
Top Bottom