Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

I used IVOMEC Pour-On for Cattle contains 5mg ivermectin/mL. Dosage rate is 1 mL for each 22 lb of body weight. I just put on 3 drops/hen. That's .05%. That's all they had at the feed store. I treated twice and replaced my coops and so far so good with the ticks (not mites but sounds like they're equally as evil)

For those that want to dose accurately and aren't good at math
big_smile.png
, the .05% (5mg/ml) pour-on dose is .1ml per 2.2 pounds (.5mg/kg).

-Kathy

I'm glad you are on top of things. I think everyone does things a bit differently. I shouldn't worry if you overdose them with Ivermectin. 1 drop on the skin and then 2 weeks later another drop. It will kill lice too. They are using it on humans now, head lice.

I have to wait till the neighbors have gone out then I will try and shoot the infested pigeons. Its only an air riffle though.

The hens are bathing in the bonfire ashes. So it will help.

Its been 4 to 5 days now and there is no sign of them since I went mad and poisoned them.

But they will be back this time next year and I will be waiting next time with a nuke!

I'm saddled up and awaiting the next clash! I got done with the other pens this morning and just now went to toss out some calf manna and was amazed at the aftermath. It seemed like a pain to do at the time but seeing all the dead mites made it worth it. I have no doubts that I destroyed close to a million and I can't wait to see it pay off in the chickens happiness! I sprayed every single inch and many of the cracks where the rafter joists meet the side walls looked they were oozing dead mites..quite a sight. It's hard to tell if the chickens are any happier today because I opened all the pens and let them have an early summer vacation, so the pecking order has them all occupied for now.

So guard, how certain are you that lice are affected by ivermectin? I added a couple buckets of wood ash to a few of their dusting spots so I'm hoping that will keep them in check. I'm not too concerned about the lice but I'd prefer they die as well. I'll have to research it a bit
Stay on top of them, they're devising a new plan of attack!

Ive not had hands on experience with hen lice. I looked it up and others use Ivermectin to treat this!

You will have to monitor the hens if you've treated them for lice. I found the following info...

A hen’s first line of defense against lice is to dust bathe. This is when a hen finds a wallow of loose, warm dirt, lies down in it, kicks it about and gets it under her feathers. The dirt kills off the soft-bodied lice by both dessicating and shredding them. Add some food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) to your flock’s favorite dusting area, and you’ll be sure to kill off the lice. The DE is jagged and lacerates the lice. DE is derived from diatoms – microscopically small water creatures. Be sure to only food-grade DE. Agricultural DE, used to kill slugs, etc, is derived from sea diatoms, is very sharp, and it will shred chicken’s soft tissues if ingested! In the winter when the ground is frozen, and during times of mud and cold, hens can’t dust bathe outside and the louse population explodes. I remedy this situation by half-filling an inexpensive kitty litter tub with coarse builder’s sand and then add a cup of food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) to the mix.

Plastic Sink Bowls

Cat Litter Trays

Put some burnt Ashes in them. I will mix them with diatomaceous earth.

But you will be dowsing the hens with DE to get rid of the red mite anyway.

The only good bug is a dead bug so Kill em all!

Ive not had hands on experience with hen lice. I looked it up and others use Ivermectin to treat this!

You will have to monitor the hens if you've treated them for lice. I found the following info...

A hen’s first line of defense against lice is to dust bathe. This is when a hen finds a wallow of loose, warm dirt, lies down in it, kicks it about and gets it under her feathers. The dirt kills off the soft-bodied lice by both dessicating and shredding them. Add some food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) to your flock’s favorite dusting area, and you’ll be sure to kill off the lice. The DE is jagged and lacerates the lice. DE is derived from diatoms – microscopically small water creatures. Be sure to only food-grade DE. Agricultural DE, used to kill slugs, etc, is derived from sea diatoms, is very sharp, and it will shred chicken’s soft tissues if ingested! In the winter when the ground is frozen, and during times of mud and cold, hens can’t dust bathe outside and the louse population explodes. I remedy this situation by half-filling an inexpensive kitty litter tub with coarse builder’s sand and then add a cup of food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) to the mix.

Plastic Sink Bowls

Cat Litter Trays

Put some burnt Ashes in them. I will mix them with diatomaceous earth.

But you will be dowsing the hens with DE to get rid of the red mite anyway.

The only good bug is a dead bug so Kill em all!

From the site you copy and pasted from:
Quote:
There are 40 to 50 species of lice found on domestic poultry. They are all soft-bodied, pale-colored, flattened-bodied insects. None suck blood, but they do have mouth parts that chew on feathers and scales from the skin. If there’s a large population of lice living on your hen, they will cause irritation and can be so annoying that the bird will fail to thrive.
None suck blood, so ivermectin will have no effect on them.

-Kathy

casportpony, Kathy says that under her hands on experience, Ivermectin does not kill Lice because the Lice do not suck blood but according to backyardchickens guru "
dawg53"
the lice will still bite the hens and ingest the poison from the hens blood. There are different species so you will have to experiment a bit. It didn't work for kathy but depending on the species it may for you! Ive never had lice on mine but will look out now I know what to look for. Perhaps if the hen is completely riddled with lice they all do not get chance to bite the hen so those that have ingested the Ivermectin and die but you cannot see a difference as the others just take their places and in the end the hen may die!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/687442/treating-with-ivermectin

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Because the life cycle of lice and mites is. approximately 2 weeks, treatments should be repeated every 2 weeks as needed. Carefully read all labels prior to treatment to make sure withdrawal times are followed for food-producing poultry. Severe lice or mite infestations can be treated initially with a kitten strength dose of a pyrethrin-based medicated spray on the birds to reduce the initial numbers. If problems persist, contact a veterinarian for treatment with such medications as Ivermectin�. Prevention is the best method of treatment. For poultry used in exhibition or for new poultry entering the flock, a minimum quarantine period of 2 weeks is recommended. During this time birds should be physically examined and treated if necessary.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Back
Top Bottom