Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Yes , you have to treat the hen house as well.

And Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, traditionally against parasitic worms in humans!!!!!!!!!!!.

It is mainly used in humans not just Cattle as you said!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and that was in a particular zone or area. It doesn't mean that all mites and Lice in the world have become immune to it.

edited by staff

@dawg53 , where are those links that show the necropsy pictures of people that used ivermectin as a wormer and lost their birds to worms?

-Kathy

Yes and that was in a particular zone or area. It doesn't mean that all hens in the world have become immune to it.
There are other studies that show the same sort of data, so no, it's world wide.

-Kathy

Good luck to those that try to treat poultry lice with ivermectin. Please do document your method, take pictures and post your results.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I went into a frenzy and cleaned out the coops and barn. I would like to report that I didn't find any lice or mites. I typically try to treat everyone every 3 months. I keep a check on the bearded and crested as they seem to be the first to get affected. I treat the houses with Sevin Dust and the leaf blower that gets all the nooks and crannies. I bought a Big bag of the DE non food grade and used it up putting it in nest boxes and under shavings in the coop. I don't plan on buying more, but it did work and I didn't kill any birds with it. My Birds really enjoy dust bathing in the fire pit. Nothing funnier than seeing a 30lb turkey slinging ash 6 feet in the air. lol

I'm a little lost by some of the comments from yesterday and believe that perhaps a misunderstanding has taken place????

I created a large pit today out of a pallet and dug up a bit of the dirt. I added some peat, DE, and wood ash. I'm hoping they will all decide it's a better dusting spot than the other dozen area's that they've dug up. I witnessed several in it already but then it started to rain and its supposed to rain all week
hmm.png

guard,
I'm not too concerned about the species of lice, I'd rather just label them as dead lice. I'm hoping that I can at least get them under control but after some more research it seems that I may not have as bad of an infestation as I first thought. Looking at pics online usually shows signs of eggs attached to the follicle but I haven't seen that yet so I'm hopeful that I caught it early enough. I'll give the ash and DE a chance to do some control and then decide where they stand.

Thanks again everyone!!

That's good then. Ive got no sign of any Mites after going berserk a week or 2 ago. They are all terminated , ha ha. You can see a picture of my Milli and she was riddled with them but the Ivermectin stopped that! She looks great!

My Mrs who is a Lecturer in Engineering at our local University has looked at the problem from a different angle and has come up with the idea of covering all the walls in the coop with large sheets of sellotape. It will cover all the cracks and make it difficult for the mites to walk up and down the walls. Shes going to make inquiries to find a material that may even stop the critters from coming any where near the hen houses. There must be some thing with Diatom properties some where!

I'm OK know until May 2015 so until next year I will just for the sake of it use Ivermectin and the DE sprinkled in an ash bath the same as you are.

Ive got the microscope set up but no mites to view and record so I could show how the Ivermectin, Dm, and
Permethrin
works!

All the best to you and yours..

Ivermectin 1% - ~$26 USD
Ivermectin Pour On - ~$20 USD
Neither of the above will treat worms in poultry effectively. They will treat mites, but not poultry lice.

Poultry Dust - ~$6 USD
5% Sevin Duct - $6 USD
Both of the above will kill both mites and lice on your birds and in the coop.

DE - Have no idea what it costs these days, $1/pound maybe, but I can tell you that it will not kill anything.

Safeguard liquid goat wormer - ~$20
Will kill most worms if given at the proper dose several days in a row.

For me the choice is easy, buy a wormer and powder that work on both lice and mites. Total cost - ~$26 USD to effectively de-worm and kill mites and lice. It's a no brainer, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom