Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

This is from a poultry veterinarian, posted in 2009 on this website. It gives dosages for 5% pour-on ivermectin, but he mentions in the same post that he prefers the 1% injectable given orally.
Have a nice life, Kathy.
And if you can't find it, look for it.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](1 1 drop small bantam such as female OE [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](2 2 drops large bantam male like OE [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](3 3 drops most bantams [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](4 4 drops larger bantams and smaller commercial hens [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](5 5 drops commercial large fowl and smaller large [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]fowl [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](5 5 drops Large fowl chicken [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](7 7 drops larger males of large fowl breeds of [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]Chickens. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](A 5% oil type Ivomec Stays on the birds for at least [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]6 weeks. and is the reason it is only used on the out [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]side under the feathers on the shoulder of the [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]chickens. Slow release time. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)](B 1% water soulable is injectable and can be used in [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.670588)]the water.
\[/COLOR]

As to the argument that if ivermectin worked in chickens it would be marketed that way: sorry, this simply isn't the case. Ivermectin does work in chickens, just as it works in goats. Why not say so on the label? Because it costs manufacturers a bundle of money to have drugs cleared for other species. Had I used only what is labeled for deworming goats, which consists only of Safeguard, I'd have a lot of dead goats, especially if I put any store in the label directions. Chickens are a bigger industry than goats, granted, but sometimes the best products for chickens are off-label too.

I rarely take part in forums, but when an animal's life is at stake, that motivates me. It's good to get the facts straight before venturing an opinion. My facts are straight. Do the research.

I purchased year old hens that had Lice, mites, and tapeworms. I also had hens that had roundworms. Ivomec injectable only killed the live bugs. I then had to treat with safeguard and Valbazen. I've also done some research and in some areas of the US where Ivomec hasn't been used a lot, it may work for poultry worms. But it did nothing for my chickens. It is a life saver for bugs though.

It's great to have such knowledgeable people come together on a thread. But we usually just share our ideas and explain them. We don't attack each other. Kathy is very knowledgeable and has helped save so many birds. We all do research. That is how some of us found BYC. You attacked me as well. I just stated that Ivomec doesn't work where I live. Simple as that. No one said you were wrong. Have a good day.

This is from a poultry veterinarian, posted in 2009 on this website. It gives dosages for 5% pour-on ivermectin, but he mentions in the same post that he prefers the 1% injectable given orally.
Have a nice life, Kathy.
And if you can't find it, look for it.

(1 1 drop small bantam such as female OE   
(2 2 drops large bantam male like OE   
(3 3 drops most bantams   
(4 4 drops larger bantams and smaller commercial hens   
(5 5 drops commercial large fowl and smaller large   
fowl   
(5 5 drops Large fowl chicken   
(7 7 drops larger males of large fowl breeds of   
Chickens.   
(A 5% oil type Ivomec Stays on the birds for at least   
6 weeks. and is the reason it is only used on the out   
side under the feathers on the shoulder of the   
chickens. Slow release time.   
(B 1% water soulable is injectable and can be used in   
the water.
\

@onvirginiasoil

Common misinformations...

1) Pour on ivermectin = 0.5%, not 5%. It has 5 mg/ml, not 50 mg/ml
2) The 1% injectable is *not* water soluble.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Wow, found the source of misinformation posted by the vet... Gonna send him an email and ask him to confirm whether or not he wrote it.

-Kathy

Right. And I suppose you think Kathy was welcoming? Look at the thread. I was responding to something posted in a 2009 thread, and the response ended up in a much more recent thread? I have no idea what relevance my comment had in that forum, given that I was responding to something six years prior, and I immediately get hit by someone who seems to have taken offense? In any event, I don't care what happened. I don't join clubs that are exclusive in this way. I was trying to help, and I got shut down fairly quickly. I've been raising livestock, including chickens, for longer than many of the posters have been on the planet. If you're happy with state of affairs, that's terrific. I just don't belong here, and I have no desire to belong here.

Right. And I suppose you think Kathy was welcoming? Look at the thread. I was responding to something posted in a 2009 thread, and the response ended up in a much more recent thread? I have no idea what relevance my comment had in that forum, given that I was responding to something six years prior, and I immediately get hit by someone who seems to have taken offense? In any event, I don't care what happened. I don't join clubs that are exclusive in this way. I was trying to help, and I got shut down fairly quickly. I've been raising livestock, including chickens, for longer than many of the posters have been on the planet. If you're happy with state of affairs, that's terrific. I just don't belong here, and I have no desire to belong here.
Sorry you feel this way, and I hope you don't leave.
hugs.gif

Those that know me know that I am quite passionate about proper dosing, which means understanding how many mg an animal should get. You stated that you give 1 cc of 1% ivermectin to adult chickens, and I simply pointed out that that is way more than any veterinary resource would suggest. You then copied and pasted something that someone posted years ago, which is has misinformation.

-Kathy

Those of you that have 1% ivermectin, take a small clear glass, fill it with water, then add a few ml of ivermectin. Stir well and come back in an hour. What you'll see is that the ivermectin has floated to the top. Not sure why people think it's water soluble.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Kathy, I am quite passionate about animal care, but I get the impression that you are quite passionate about Kathy and how she is coming off in public. That's fine if you do some good, who cares? But I will never post again because of you. I've been raising animals for a very long time, and I am neither stupid nor silly.I know what works from 35 years experience with goats and 15 years with chickens. I have no idea why you put so much energy into putting people down, and because of a mixup, apparently yet another person thinks I was putting her down. I posted only because I saw a post from 2009 and replied to it, and it frankly never occurred to me that the same questions were being asked over and over and over again, such that I would end up in a current forum, where I was quickly slammed.

Continue to rule, Kathy. You clearly have supporters. But I would still urge participants to search for answers on the Internet, and specifically those from academic sources who have data to back up their recommendations. In the meantime, I've had quite enough of being bullied and will not have anything to do with backyardchickens.com in the future.

You've succeeded, in other words.

Formularies written by vets:

From another formulary:

LL

From a veterinary parasite book:

Two studies for everyone to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125

Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom