Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Hi There,

I know this is from 2009 but I am hoping you are still able to answer a question. I followed your post and bought a 3 cc syringe and Ivermectin pour-on for cattle (5mg/ml). Since other posts measure in drops, I was hoping that you could be more specific as I am terribly confused about the dosage. I pulled up 1 cc of 5mg/ml in a syringe with my 20 gauge needle. I squeezed out 1 drop and it barely registers. Is a "drop" of this still a "drop" or should I be measuring with cc?

Not sure my question makes sense.

What I am noticing is that 0.5 cc of 5mg/ml ivermectin cattle pour-on using a 3cc syringe and 20 gauge needle takes about 50 drops.

Do I use 4 "drops" for my standard sized (5 pound) chicken? Or do I use 0.5 cc?

Thanks a million for clarifying!

Originally Posted by omishsis View Post

I found instructions online for administering the injectable topically on the neck or wing. But this last time we had a bantam rooster that started having some odd symptoms within 2-3 days of the drops. I would come to the pen to find him on his back, feet up, eyes closed looking dead, but when I touched him he popped up. ... at the vet with my dog and learned ivermectin can go right to the brain and cause neurological problems.
I have just finished reading more on online about this drug's side effects in animals and there may be hope that it will clear his system in a couple weeks, but it also said there can be be permanent brain damage.

Just wanted to let you know, my little rooster is fine now. Luckily no lasting damage.

Hi There,

I know this is from 2009 but I am hoping you are still able to answer a question.  I followed your post and bought a 3 cc syringe and Ivermectin pour-on for cattle (5mg/ml).  Since other posts measure in drops, I was hoping that you could be more specific as I am terribly confused about the dosage.  I pulled up 1 cc of 5mg/ml in a syringe with my 20 gauge needle.  I squeezed out 1 drop and it barely registers.  Is a "drop" of this still a "drop" or should I be measuring with cc?  

Not sure my question makes sense.  

What I am noticing is that 0.5 cc of 5mg/ml ivermectin cattle pour-on using a 3cc syringe and 20 gauge needle takes about 50 drops.

Do I use 4 "drops" for my standard sized (5 pound) chicken?  Or do I use 0.5 cc?

Thanks a million for clarifying!

Using the pour on the dose for a five pound chicken is 0.227 ml, but okay to round up to 0.25 ml (1/4 ml), and probably okay to give twice that amount.

-Kathy

Originally Posted by omishsis View Post

I found instructions online for administering the injectable topically on the neck or wing. But this last time we had a bantam rooster that started having some odd symptoms within 2-3 days of the drops. I would come to the pen to find him on his back, feet up, eyes closed looking dead, but when I touched him he popped up. ... at the vet with my dog and learned ivermectin can go right to the brain and cause neurological problems.
I have just finished reading more on online about this drug's side effects in animals and there may be hope that it will clear his system in a couple weeks, but it also said there can be be permanent brain damage.

Just wanted to let you know, my little rooster is fine now. Luckily no lasting damage.

Welcome to BYC!

Glad you little rooster is better now. Probably best to weigh your little ones the next time you use it.

-Kathy

Thank you!

So, last night I brought each chicken in, one at a time (I currently only have 5 adults) and checked their tummy and vent area (been battling lice) to find no sign of lice. But, combs still being pale and my gut telling me that they are not as healthy/happy/energetic as they should be, I gave them each some ivermectin (5mg/ml cattle pour-on) on the backs of their necks. My largest got 7 droplets, my smallest got 3.

I was so pleasantly surprised this morning to see everyone so bright eyed and bushy tailed. I think that they all had a good night's sleep and woke up cheerful and refreshed. This afternoon, their combs are all back to bright red. I didn't expect to see such an astonishing difference so quickly. I feel like it was necessary and overdue. I am so glad that I did it.

My broody black copper marans hen is torn between giving up her broody bit and rejoining the flock. She has been grumpy and snapping at my little bantam, her only surviving clutch-mate, but today, they were eating side by side with no fuss. Yay!

I do know that Ivermectin is a neurotoxin and herding dog breeds are very susceptible to accumulation of it (mutation of the MDR-1 gene that lacks a protein that will carry away the neurotoxin). This is partly why I was so anxious about using it and worried about getting the dose correct. I am glad the little bantam rooster snapped out of his peculiar reaction. Herding dogs with MDR-1 defect can accumulate ivermectin in the brain tissue so even if there is no ill effect the first encounter, each additional encounter increases the risk of serious brain damage/death. I certainly don't know about chickens, but with that info, I suppose that I would not repeat dosing the little roo who had the strange reaction. The next time could potentially kill him.

It is so nice to have a happy healthy flock. Once again, Thank you!

One more question...

I think my pullets might have depluming mites, too, now.
They are 18 weeks old.
Is it ok to dose them with pour-on, too? Or are they too young?

Just found a few tail feathers that have the horizontal stripes. Otherwise, the flock looks healthy.

One more question...

I think my pullets might have depluming mites, too, now.
They are 18 weeks old. 
Is it ok to dose them with pour-on, too?  Or are they too young?

Just found a few tail feathers that have the horizontal stripes.  Otherwise, the flock looks healthy.

They are not too young. How much do they weigh?

I will have to weigh them. My guess is not much under full weight. They are all just started to show early signs of maturity (slight growth and deeper pink/red) in comb and wattles. They look about the size of my full grown hens. 1 is a Brahma and clearly my largest. Rest are mixed standards.

Oh, and I think I am supposed to wait a bit and then re-treat? Is that at 5 days? 2 weeks? Just one retreat? Overall, most feathers look good. At close inspection you see horizontal lines. My Buckeye lost all but two of her tail feathers last week and I don't know why... someone else pecked her? Or she caught them racing through the vines?

I weighed the pullets and my 9 month old bantam MFD...

Golden Cuckoo Marans: 4.0 pounds
Buff Orpington: 3.5 pounds
Speckled Sussex: 4.0 pounds
Buckeye: 3.1 pounds
Buff Brahma: 4.6 pounds
Mille Fleur d'uccle: 1.1 pounds

Back
Top Bottom