Does anyone eat their peafowl?

I'm gonna find out very soon. That may well solve my peacock problem. I would like a few, but we have so many they are destructive.

lol... i feel your pain.... i'm not overrun, but i can't grow my veggies... at first i thought it was the rabbits and the chipmunks that live in the empty desert around us... then i came out to bbq one night and find the peacocks with a squash plant hanging out of his mouth.. roots and all....
barnie.gif

i read.. and then thought.. and realized.. wow ... they're right... peacocks don't like to land on thin things... and they wont fly over a low fence.. they will hop onto the top pole, then fly down to the other side...

the run my chickens are currently in is the hogwire type enclosure.. and i realized i have never seen the peacocks in there unless the walkthrough gate is left open and the walk in... i also realized i've watched them strut half way around the acre yard to get to the driveway gate that has a 1.5" tubing frame... and they hop up onto that.... a good portion of the yard fencing is the hogwire stuff.. so too this for their tastes.. lol.. (it's rather funny to watch the chickens try to perch on it in high winds.. but they do... )

i decided to try this fencing around some pots on my patio... they left it alone for about 3-4 months.. it's being pecked at again, but not sure if it's the peacocks or the chickens.. son said he found one of hte chickens inside the loop of fence.. so i could be chickens, or maybe they figured out that their heads can fit through the wire.. lol... but they only eat what they can reach from outside...
next year i'm going to fence off my garden with this, and give it an 18" walk path all around on the inside of the fencing.. i figure that will put all the plants out of reach.... i'm also keeping them all in pots to thwart the chipmunks and rabbits... hopefully... lol...

i'd also like to know if you end up cooking any of them.. my neighbor asked about it.. and i said you want to raise one next spring.. she said if she raised it she couldn't eat it.. but if i raised it.. lol...

anyway.. good luck with it....

I am gonna cook one of them but it might be after the first of the year before I have time. A friend is giving me some free chickens which will just about double my flock and we are hustling around getting a place ready for them. He has to move them and himself ASAP. Ever notice how free things end up being the most expensive? I appreciate all the suggestions. I have been researching pheasant recipes. BTW, my peacocks have no trouble flying over a low fence. Or a high one either. They do it all the time. Maybe a real low one might discourage them from the flower beds. I'll try that. I wouldn't mind the peacocks if they just wouldn't destroy my flowers.

I belive they are like partrige... Very good fliers and they eat them all over.

Save the feathers and sell them on Ebay too...

You might set a trap to get them "corralled" tasty flowers inside a net coop of some sort of light netting. Then drop it on em when they go in. Be careful though males have spurs.

The recipes on line say low and slow cooking cook like a turkey or large chicken.

By the way if you buy peacock at an exotic meats place all packaged up like a turkey... It will cost up wards to a hundred dollars.

deb

This year I am planning to build a oven so I can cook a peacock with tail/wings/head still intact like on old paintings. I found a old French recipe how they used to do that, also for swan.
Can't wait! But they are allmost 200 dollars here, live peacocks...

Rich people ate them, so they probably taste fine.

Back
Top Bottom