Does anyone have experience breeding cockatiels? I’m considering getting a female to pair with my male.

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
I have 2 male cockatiels, a 6 year old normal, and a 1-2 year old pearly pied (the pied isn’t visible but that’s what he was sold as) the pearl, Storm has lost his pearls in the year that I’ve had him. I’m considering getting him a mate. I’ve learned a lot about genetics and have done hours of research but I wanted to talk to people who have experience breeding cockatiels. I don’t think I have the time or skill to hand feed and was wondering if handling young chicks is ok? If I got a female I would get a 2ish year old tame pearl (and hopefully pied if it works out). I have a large flight cage and my birds are fed pellets and a Variety of different veggies, grains, and healthy seeds blended into chop. I will also add that Storm has been very hormonal lately and trying to mount my other male.

Attachments

• FB58292A-85DC-4576-B292-D14D113699B9.jpeg
    FB58292A-85DC-4576-B292-D14D113699B9.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 3030AE81-B5B9-449A-8441-2DB2EA5AD287.jpeg
    3030AE81-B5B9-449A-8441-2DB2EA5AD287.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 7
i dont know a lot about this but my uncle was a registered bird breeder hand raising is quite hard i dont recommend it will take up lots of time and it will take effort and you need to have commitment

i dont know a lot about this but my uncle was a registered bird breeder hand raising is quite hard i dont recommend it will take up lots of time and it will take effort and you need to have commitment
I got both of my males wild and I hope to sell babies pretty quick after weaning (within a month or so) and I hope to sell them tame. I won’t be hand feeding but I’m wondering if it would stress the parents to much to hold the babies when they are still being parent feed to get them used to people without having to have such a large commitment.

Also does anyone have suggestions for where to sell babies? I have quite a few ideas but I’d like to hear from other people.

Not sure it's that hard as my mother had a pair and they mated. I don't think she put a lot of time into it. I remember her having a nesting box of sorts in their cage when the female had the hatchlings.
I got one of the males. We named him jasper. He was a pretty cool bird. Lived quite a long time and was able to speak a handful of words and phrases.

Not sure it's that hard as my mother had a pair and they mated. I don't think she put a lot of time into it. I remember her having a nesting box of sorts in their cage when the female had the hatchlings.
I got one of the males. We named him jasper. He was a pretty cool bird. Lived quite a long time and was able to speak a handful of words and phrases.
That’s good! From what I’ve read they are easy to breed and since I have a set up I’d just need a nesting box. They are such cool birds!

Just be aware that certain birds won't like each other in some cases, so just getting a cockatiel hen doesn't guarantee babies. Males do lose their pealing as they get older.

If the hen trusts you you will be able to handle the babies from quite early on, though they start out tiny and very delicate. By a week old they are bigger and can hold their little heads up quite well.

It will take a lot of daily handling to ensure the chicks are very tame. I do hand rear chicks (I find it faster than the amount of handling required to get them very tame) but I always leave the parents one or two babies to finish raising.

Cockatiel breeding is a lot of fun and it's always exciting seeing how the chicks turn out, but it's not without the odd challenge. Occasionally you may get birds that pluck their chicks and that is unfortunately often a learned behaviour if they were plucked as chicks.

Miranda Priestly.gif

I've been summoned?
I have 2 male cockatiels, a 6 year old normal, and a 1-2 year old pearly pied (the pied isn’t visible but that’s what he was sold as) the pearl, Storm has lost his pearls in the year that I’ve had him. I’m considering getting him a mate. I’ve learned a lot about genetics and have done hours of research but I wanted to talk to people who have experience breeding cockatiels. I don’t think I have the time or skill to hand feed and was wondering if handling young chicks is ok? If I got a female I would get a 2ish year old tame pearl (and hopefully pied if it works out). I have a large flight cage and my birds are fed pellets and a Variety of different veggies, grains, and healthy seeds blended into chop. I will also add that Storm has been very hormonal lately and trying to mount my other male.
Storm is the younger of the two? Odd that he was sold as pied but isn't visibly pied. In the hundreds of birds I've bred that carry pied, they've always expressed it. Which is coincidentally why I hate breeding pied to anything not pied because the chicks always show it in varying amounts. Normal that the pearling fades. That happens in males.

A good cockatiel pair will produce on average four chicks and produce them often. I usually advise pulling to handfeed when the chicks would be on 3x a day. Handfeeding really isn't that hard. Especially with tiels. They like to eat. And baby tiels begging are so cute when you aren't handfeeding 25+ at a time. Then the little shrill screamy/begging and the tee-tee-tee-tee while they are eating makes you want to live in a library.

Well-bonded pairs that are used to you may allow "co-parenting", by which I mean you can pull chicks from the box to handle them and put them back. Generally speaking they will not be as tame as babies that were hand reared. Additionally, parent-raised tiels are very inexpensive and often (IME) don't always go to the best homes. Someone who's paying $100 for a handfed, tamed baby is usually going to take better care of it than someone who got it for $20.
I got both of my males wild and I hope to sell babies pretty quick after weaning (within a month or so) and I hope to sell them tame. I won’t be hand feeding but I’m wondering if it would stress the parents to much to hold the babies when they are still being parent feed to get them used to people without having to have such a large commitment.
You can try this and see how it goes. Some pairs tolerate it and others don't. Do watch for pairs that feed to heavily as you may have to intervene. I had a pair that consistently over-fed which caused crop issues. Some tiels will also pluck/chew the feathers off their chicks for reasons I have never fully understood. Sometimes it's obvious, like a pair carrying Ino and throwing a chick that looks different. Other times it's a lot harder to pinpoint the reason. Usually I pulled chicks before the parents would do that. Some pairs are happy to raise large clutches, and others prefer single chicks and will ignore the younger chicks to feed the oldest.
Also does anyone have suggestions for where to sell babies? I have quite a few ideas but I’d like to hear from other people.
Always see if you can establish a relationship with a local, mom and pop pet store. Big Box stores (Petco and Petsmart) won't accept privately bred birds from individuals, but in many cases the smaller, privately owned stores, or even franchised ones, like Petland, are happy to meet new breeders and be able to sell more in the store. At my store we also hand-fed the chicks so the breeders were responsible for pulling the chicks and getting them started for a few days before transporting them to us and we finished them out. Obviously the breeder received less money when selling them to us young, but the breeder also wasn't investing the time and energy as well as the expense of handfeeding formula into the chicks.

Just be aware that certain birds won't like each other in some cases, so just getting a cockatiel hen doesn't guarantee babies. Males do lose their pealing as they get older.

If the hen trusts you you will be able to handle the babies from quite early on, though they start out tiny and very delicate. By a week old they are bigger and can hold their little heads up quite well.

It will take a lot of daily handling to ensure the chicks are very tame. I do hand rear chicks (I find it faster than the amount of handling required to get them very tame) but I always leave the parents one or two babies to finish raising.

Cockatiel breeding is a lot of fun and it's always exciting seeing how the chicks turn out, but it's not without the odd challenge. Occasionally you may get birds that pluck their chicks and that is unfortunately often a learned behaviour if they were plucked as chicks.
Thank you! I plan on getting a tame female (if I do decide to breed) so they are more ok with me handling their chicks. I did know he would lose his pearling although it was sad when he did. I am open to a challenge but I don’t think I will be handfeeding the babies (maybe eventually I’ll try) unless needed. But I will handle them every day starting at a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom