Does anyone here feed quail to their snake?

I never tried to feed my snakes, when I had them, anything other than mice/rats. I had heard from too many people that it was to hard to get them back on mice if they got a taste for something else. Don't see why you couldn't try. I would try dead ones first.

Last edited:
We use to own a reptile shop, and we fed rats, mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits , and chickens. No reason not to feed your snake quail as long as you have a supply....beats going to the pet store and buying rats. At least you know your quail are healthy. Don't be concerned over those who disagree with live food for your reptiles. It's just a fact of life that they need live food. We don't necessarily like doing it, but it is part of having reptiles. Everything needs to eat.

I don't have snakes. I like them in there place not mine but I think it is a great idea to raise your feed for your snake. As far as not eating the mice later is concerned when they get hungry again they will eat. It is rare that any animal will turn down food to starve. In the woods a nest of young birds would be a real treat. It might also like the eggs if it learns it is food.

Quote:
WOOO YEAH! THAT A GIRL!

SORRY, COULDNT HELP IT...

YES BOTH OF MINE GET QUAIL WEEKLY
smile.png
IF SHE CAN EAT A FULL SIZED RAT SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE ADULT QUAIL... AND YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE QUAIL BITING YOUR SNAKE! MINE EAT FROZEN SO I JUST COLLECT THE WEEK CHICKS THAT ARE ON DEATH'S DOOR AND FREEZE 'EM--- QUAILCICKLES! THEN WHEN ITS DINNER TIME I THAW THEM OUT AND WARM 'EM UP A BIT AND TA DA! DINNER IS SERVED!

FOR THE RECORD THERE ARE MANY COMMERCIAL REPTILE FOOD SOURCE FARMS AND MANY ALSO OFFER COTURNIX QUAIL AS WELL AS MICE/ RATS

I have fed several wild snakes quail (not intentionally though, lol). I am sure your snake could eat them and to tell you the truth, it would cost a lot less than having to buy it mice or whatever all the time. I think it is a good idea.

QUAILCICKLES!

You are so bad!
smack.gif
lau.gif

I don't have snakes that large, but I only keep a certain number of chickens so if one goes broody, the resulting chicks get tossed to the snakes. When TSC sells chicks I'll buy them for that purpose as well, since they're about ten times less expensive than other food sources. I do kill them before feeding, though . . . my snakes aren't efficient enough at killing for me to be comfortable with live feedings, and I'll admit to being very disturbed by the cheeping that occurs when the snake gets a bad hold on the chick. I had a chick go after my snake's eyes, once, too, so there is a danger in that.
I have several different friends with large snakes, and they gather up all the free roosters they can find on craigslist. Most of the time, though, they all feed their snakes turkey legs, which are about the cheapest meat you can get at a grocery store. The snakes do well on it, and you don't get screaming fits from people who don't understand how the food chain works when they ask you what you feed your snake. Of course, most of them had to train their snake to take a leg by feeding a rat and then placing the leg in the mouth while the rat was being swallowed. I know at least one person's snake took to it immediately, but for others it would take a few feedings before they got the idea. I don't know whether there's more meat on a turkey leg or quail, but I guess for me it would come down to which is cheapest.
None of these snakes have issues eating mice or rats when those are offered, mainly, I suspect, because their natural diet is composed mostly of mammals. The only issues I've ever seen with a snake going off of rats or mice when offered a different food is when the snake species in question is one whose natural food source is something other than mammalian, such as snake, toad, or bird eaters. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a bird eating species.
I have noticed that when fed chicks, my snakes' poop smells worse. That's the only fault I've found with it, and it's something I can certainly live with.

Last edited:
Balls are pickie eaters, but if you can get them eating Quail, go for it.

Many dayold cockeral are fed to snakes.

The age they are killed, or what eats them about the same raised for meat.

Not trying to Hijack but I sell chicks, quail and rabbits frozen to a few people, I'm wondering what you that feed any of these pay for them. I only sell day old chicks and quail.

Quote:
Well, I can get a young rat for my snake for $3.50 at my local reptile store...so I wouldn't pay more than that. Probably $1.50-$2 for a day old.

Back
Top Bottom