Does anyone keep their chickens outdoors in a predator proofed run at night with an open air coop that's not locked?

What Woods depicts sure look like regular ol' chicken coops to me. My idea of "open air" is a net enclosure with some roosts under roofing (usually a tarp) tucked in one corner. We don't have many predator and won't weather problems if it stops raining.

IIRC, Woods called his coop a "Fresh Air" coop rather than an "open air" coop.

I try to remember to make that distinction when talking about them myself.

In my area the 3-sided shelter on the windward end of the Open Air coop is necessary because we can get storm winds from any direction (even in the same storm if it's a hurricane).

I do. When the sun rises earlier than I want to, or if it's going to be cold or raining the next morning, I leave the pop door open all night. The coop is made of metal with expanded-metal (grates) for the front wall (and my door) and on the upper half of the back wall. I block the winter wind with clear hard plastic panels. I leave lots of space for the air to circulate around the plastic, though.

I do. When the sun rises earlier than I want to, or if it's going to be cold or raining the next morning, I leave the pop door open all night. The coop is made of metal with expanded-metal (grates) for the front wall (and my door) and on the upper half of the back wall. I block the winter wind with clear hard plastic panels. I leave lots of space for the air to circulate around the plastic, though.
Would you mind posting a picture or 2 one day? I'd love to see how it looks. Removable plastic panels makes a lot of sense.

Would you mind posting a picture or 2 one day? I'd love to see how it looks. Removable plastic panels makes a lot of sense.
Until I get a picture, you can search for "clear pvc roof panels" or "clear polycarbonate roof panels" sold by building material suppliers.

Thanks so much for these links!
I have a 10 by 20 foot coop with wire on 3 sides. Was supposed to be a short term temporary coop till i finished a new coop. But with so many out of my control events mucking up my plans it has been in use about 8 months.I did have to add a 4'x8' plywood panel behind the roost are to thwart the coons pulling out my rooster tail feathers till i could shoot and trap them.

My coop is 3 sided with roosts within and nesting boxes on the ends. It sits in a heavy pen with a poultry netted top. It is not snake proof but the only other time a predator got in was totally my fault. My youngsters are kept in a pen inside that pen, mixed fencing and a wire top, the roosting area is again, a three sided, roofed mini shed. I have never even had snakes get into that pen.

I have a 10 by 20 foot coop with wire on 3 sides. Was supposed to be a short term temporary coop till i finished a new coop. But with so many out of my control events mucking up my plans it has been in use about 8 months.I did have to add a 4'x8' plywood panel behind the roost are to thwart the coons pulling out my rooster tail feathers till i could shoot and trap them.
I like this idea a lot. Would be especially good for my young birds to give them plenty of room while I work on the rest of the coop. Honestly, there's no reason for me to not try what you've done. I'm in a hot climate. If I want to add a more typical coop to the run later, I can just scab it onto the side. Thanks for the idea.

My coop is 3 sided with roosts within and nesting boxes on the ends. It sits in a heavy pen with a poultry netted top. It is not snake proof but the only other time a predator got in was totally my fault. My youngsters are kept in a pen inside that pen, mixed fencing and a wire top, the roosting area is again, a three sided, roofed mini shed. I have never even had snakes get into that pen.
I'm not too far from you in MS, and I can see how that setup would world so well in our climate. The pen in a pen idea is another good one, to keep them super locked down until they're big enough to no longer be snake food. I think I'm going to try something like this, at least to start with.

Have you had any coons try to drop in through the netting up top? That's my main concern with the netting.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom