Does anyone know what a show quality Mille Fleur looks like?

totallytang

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
nj
Does anyone know what a show quality Mille Fleur looks like? I bought some chicks from Cackle and on their website it said they would make a good show birds… I am deciding if I am going to keep them or not… I just have now clue how to tell if they are any good or not? they are 4 weeks old... If I can figure out how to post pics I will…

95298_honey.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
These are a great breed for showing. We got ours from Cackle as well and started showing in some of the local shows last year. We have been showing our little roo Simon. He has placed in every event so far. We are thinking of moving up to maybe some of the county or state fair this fall.
There are a number of clubs and organizations that can be a big help.
I suggest looking up the Standard of Perfection and picking your best birds and starting with some small shows. That way you have a good chance at a ribbon and can talk with the judges on your birds strong and weak points.
I would say keep them. They're small, don't eat much and can be a lot of fun.
Here are some of ours.
80948_chickens_099.jpg

80948_chicken_time_003.jpg

80948_winners_011.jpg

Quote:
Thank you! wow… look at that tail on your rooster! Okay so if I was going to pick one out of three roos to keep what would I be looking for in that roo? one is light weight, has some feathers on his feet and has the nicest tail, one is middle sized, has an okay tail and very nice feet, and the biggest seems to have a niceish tail coming in and is feathered nicely but has no black/white feathers yet. I know they are young but I can only keep them until they start crowing… then two of them have to go…

Quote:
Aw he’s so cute! Hm don’t you have to buy the standard of perfection? I haven’t yet… I am thinking I will keep the hens I have and one of my roos... I have to choose one of my three… what would you look for in a Millie roo? Thanks for answering my post : ) it is very nice to see some chicks from cackle all grown up.

Check out the d'uccle thread. There are some nice looking d'uccle pics on there in all colors including Mille Fleur. 'Tennessee' looks pretty good (Wegotchickens) and I also think the mille fleur rooster on the MyPetChicken website is gorgeous.

The main thing is you want nice fluffy cheeks-- muffs-- and a fluffy beard too, plus vulture hocks and feathered feet with feathers on the middle toe. It helps if they have the five points on the comb, and they have tiny wattles- almost nonexistent. They also don't like a really long body or long skinny neck.

One of the pictures above is of a booted bantam mille fleur, it has the color and the feathered feet, but no beard, and good sized wattles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom