Does anyone know what to feed roosters?

lakehuroncluckers

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
We feed medicated starter/grower to our chickens until 8 weeks, then starter/grower unmedicated until 10 weeks.
Next is grower/finisher until 18 weeks.
Then for layers its layer feed from then on.
For roosters, we read to mix layer and scratch...

We also heard that scratch is a good treat for chickens on cold winter nights to keep warm, so should we mix something else with layer for the roosters when it is hot summer days?

Does the scratch give too much energy to already wound up roosters that seem to have fun ripping feathers out of each others necks?

Help!!

Some say a regular flock raiser feed without the excess calcium is best but I just let the roos eat what the hens eat no problems.

I only give scratch at night in winters or on cold cold days below 40 and nights below 30.

Hot summer days just make sure there is cool fresh water to drink and that should be fine with some shade.

Excess scratch will deprive them of enough protein and nutrition to grow feathers, which is why it may cause them to pluck each others feathers out and eat them.

I feed flock raiser to all of mine once they get past starter/grower. I don't think the excess calcium is good for the roos. I had a rooster that had some problems and I think it was from excess calcium build-up. I've been told it's hard on their kidneys especially.

FlockRaiser is a good Purina product. If you have a SouthernStates, they have a Rockin-Rooster Booster pellet that is 20% protein and very low calcium that I use from time to time for my roosters and for an "on-range" feed I put out in a pan for the entire flock to eat when they pass by. Inside the coop, I have a layer pellet, but most of the day they freerange and eat whatever is in the pan, thereby giving the roosters much less calcium in their feed.

I have been wondering this very thing since we have all the rest on chick starter and only one mature roo. I was wondering.. what about the game bird feed? Or is the protein amount all wrong? Everything they sell seems to be for laying hens or chicks.
barnie.gif

I agree with SilkieChicken. After starter all my chickens AND Ducks go on Layer mash. I have never had a problem. I also give my ducklings medicated chick starter. I give Scratch as a treat or to get their attention. I use it to train my Ducks to come in at night. I just throw some on the ground.

I feed all mine the same........baby chicks starter, Older hens and grown Roos, pellets or crumble layer ration.
I do provide grit/oyster/calcium chips for the older hens or layers in a seperate feeder. And they also free range for free choice...
big_smile.png

Yep, I agree that the roo's can simply eat what the girls are given.

I choose to give mine some special treats from the kitchen table.....trimmings from steak, chops, or roasts are favorites and really makes them vocal with happiness.

bigzio

Give them what you got.
Any excess protein, such as that in chick starter will be metabolized, no worries there.
As for the extra calcium in layer rations, it does them no harm ether.

GO ahead and slop it to 'em.

Back
Top Bottom