Does anyone out there raise swans?

ShadyGlade

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Northwestern Pennsylvania
Last summer I bought myself a trio of black swans. I had fallen in love with them years ago and absolutely couldn't resist when I had the opportunity to get these. But I cannot find anyone, including the prior owner of mine who has successfully hatched swan eggs. Help please! I can't even find a reliable source for how long they incubate. I googled and find a two week discrepancy in the timing!
barnie.gif
he.gif
hu.gif

Unfortunately no, his eyes were open and I wouldn't have guessed by looking that anything was wrong. I always whistle to them and they whistle back & bob their heads. The two girls did but he didn't that's what made me take a closer look. I wonder how long the eggs remain fertile now?

I wonder how long the eggs remain fertile now?

That would be good to know. I know with chickens it can be up to 3 weeks . Are your girls sitting on the nest? It would be really good if you could get your eggs hatched. Well, I know that you've been researching all this but I'll see if I can find any info to help out.​

Well Shadyglade,
I can see why you were asking about incubation periods for your black swans.
tongue.png
About every site I looked at was a tad different but overall it looks to be 35-43 days or so depending on the time of year/cold weather factor. It really does look like it averages about 36-44 days with it as long as 48 on a few sights. Sooo, I wouldn't give up to soon if you're waiting for a hatch. Doesn't look like an exact science but you do have a ball park figure to work with. It probably depends on when the last egg was layed which is hard to know for sure if they are "wild" swans. Hopefully, the two girls will be able to take over the time that your male was setting on the nest. I haven't been able to find anything about how long your girls could be fertile fm your male but I've not looked long. I'll try to remember to look a bit more this week during my down time. I didn't know that swan males helped incubate the eggs . . . that is really nice! Learn something new every day!
smile.png

Thank you for the assistance its greatly appreciated. I have the eggs in an incubator and am hoping for the best. Its sad because he was raised as a human imprinted hatching and was very gentle & sweet even while his girls were laying. Wish my geese had that temperament !

Wish my geese had that temperament !

lol.png

Those are next on my "need to have list!" I'd like a pair of Pilgrim geese. Small & supposedly the mildest and sweetest in temperment. I haven't found any in Indiana yet so will probably order a pair next year. Wishing you the best on your swan hatch. Keep me posted. Maybe someone else will post here with some helpful info who's been "out" for the weekend.​

Shadyglade, Check with BYC'er oldtimegator. Had a thread going back in Dec. 08. oldtimegator was incubating 5 black swan eggs. Those should be hatched out by now. They may be able to encourage you and help you out w/some info. You could PM them.

Back
Top Bottom