Does anyone use a portable power station for their coop solar setup?

whitenack

Chirping
May 5, 2020
central KY
Building a new chicken coop and thinking about how to power a few lights, security cameras, maybe a small (water) heater, etc..

Just started researching, and think I understand the different components needed (panel(s), charge controller, battery(ies), inverter). I also see that I could get a portable power station to take care of everything but the solar panel(s).

The portable power station is an interesting possibility to me. Not only does it (seem to) simplify the setup by replacing three parts into one, but I like the idea of having a portable power station in case the power goes out in our home. I can see the benefit of sizing up the unit that what is needed for the coop in the event I needed more power for a home need.

So, does anyone use one of these for their coop? Are there any drawbacks?

ETA: clarified that I was thinking about a water heater, not a coop heater.

Last edited:
You may have to contact an electrician and your county/town likely requires extra permits for electrifying outbuildings.
Unless you live where it stays below 0 for weeks at a time, a heater isn't necessary.

I'm actually planning on installing a Duracell Power Source electric generator, connected to a solar panel, to provide an electrical source so I can power up the water heaters, add some security lights and cameras. My coop is alittle over 150' from the nearest outlet, so I had to run 2 100' cords from the house just to make sure they had fresh water over the winter. Since I have a whole-house backup generator already, this will be solely dedicated to power up anything I plan on implementing on the coop area.

Keep in mind that heaters draw a lots of power.
You could do it with solar but probably need a robust system with plenty of collector panels and battery storage.

Thanks. To reduce the solar/battery need, I may ditch the idea of having a heater attached to the system and just run an extension cord for those rare times it is needed.

I guess another question is whether those portable units are designed to be used on a daily basis like that which would be required as a substitute for a battery bank on a solar setup.

My coop is fully solar power, lights, doors, alarms, and cameras.

Attachments

• 1687026618206.jpeg
    1687026618206.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 57

Back
Top Bottom