Does anyone weigh their eggs?

Jul 26, 2021
Harpers Ferry, WV
I don't typically weigh every egg I bring in, but if one looks unusually large, I will weigh. The biggest has been 2.7 oz, until today. Today, I got a huge one at 2.9 oz. I have RIR's and Golden Comets. Usually, the comets lay smaller brown eggs and the RIR's are larger but lighter brown. See pic below for todays treasure.

Attachments

• Eggs.jpg
    Eggs.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 10
I don't typically weigh every egg I bring in, but if one looks unusually large, I will weigh. The biggest has been 2.7 oz, until today. Today, I got a huge one at 2.9 oz. I have RIR's and Golden Comets. Usually, the comets lay smaller brown eggs and the RIR's are larger but lighter brown. See pic below for todays treasure.
I have never thought to weigh eggs but I get some extra large size from chickens occasionally duck sized hahaha I feel bad for other that lay it bu I hit start doing this haha

I weigh them from time to time just out of curiosity. 79g is the biggest from the current batch so far. The 18-month hens will soon be back to laying after their molt and may give me some larger ones.

Chipotle, the California White, is currently molting, but she has been a MACHINE for the production of 65g eggs with incredible consistency.

In particular, I weigh eggs when baking to get the right size -- since recipes assume large eggs (about 60g).

I never weighed any eggs until this past year when I finally bought a digital scale, because I wanted to know exactly how much the jumbo eggs weighed. I hadn't thought to weigh the fairy eggs, but that will be interesting to know too.

An Easter Egger from my flock of older hens laid this egg on December 18th.
20211218_152059~2.jpg

I weigh the giant ones. The biggest one so far was 3.5 oz and had a huge yoke.

Back
Top Bottom