Does my Muscovy drake want to mate or dominate?

LadyOfDuckness

Chirping
Sep 23, 2022
What are the key differences between mating behavior and dominance behavior in Muscovies?

He's almost a year old and this is his first mating season. I found him when he was about 5-6 weeks old, so he's not imprinted on me, but he's spent more time around me than with other ducks. He has a female friend but I'm restricting their mating time for her sake, but they spend most of the day within sight of each other. He is very interested in her sexually and has figured out what to do, so he's not confused about how to mate another duck.

Literally overnight he's become unhinged, constantly huffing and puffing at me, wanting to attack my feet and hands and arms (wings down and out, huffing, slowly approaching and then striking to grab onto me and then shakes his head from side to side), he follows me around, all the time, huffing. I've resorted to using the spray bottle, which works. Somewhat. He took my fluffy slipper and started fighting with it, even flapping his wings at it. His pupils are dilated and he is constantly... Er... Excited. I am starting to worry he'll give himself a heart attack! 😂

I thought if I could figure out if it's mating or dominance, then I might be able to deal with it better.

I tried the pinning thing. He doesn't care. I can pin him for a while but as soon as I let go, it's game on again.

PXL_20230617_174702501~2.jpg

He sure is a pretty boy. My Muscovy drake does the same thing. So to keep him off of me and make him calm down he gets tossed into the pool how ever many times a day I need to stop him. I even use the hose on him I don't blast him in the face but hit it onto his chest till he turns and walks off. The toss in the pool works better he'll splash and bathe a bit get out and start preening. Until next time. lol
Hormones just get the better of them.

Back
Top Bottom