Dog Attack, Broken Back or Wings?

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
One of my very tame chickens did the egg squat when a dog came after her and the dog did a number on her, but didn't try to eat her--just played with her and nipped her. The chicken finally realized what was happening and got away under a fence, and now it's 24 hours later and she is still either laying down or standing hunched over with her wings out and her head down. I gave her half a children's aspirin which didn't seem to help much, which is why I'm wondering if she might have some broken bones. I didn't see any blood anywhere, but it's hard to tell with how poofy she is.

I have the chicken in a crate in my basement to keep her separated, and am wondering if there is anything else I should do. The poor hen is clearly in a lot of pain...I've had injured chickens before, but none this bad. Is it inhumane to keep her alive? Should I just keep up with the aspirin and hope she gets better? She's not eating or drinking as far as I can tell, but does let out an occasional very quiet, single cluck when I check on her.

IMG_7856.JPG

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7855.JPG

I’m so very sorry. We did have a young girl on these forums nurse a rooster with an injured neck back to health. However, I do think your poor girl looks badly injured, possibly with a broken back? Is she able to swallow if you dip her back in water? I would guess not if she can’t tilt her head back? Can you take her to an avian vet to find out if she has a chance at recovery? If she can’t heal and recover, I would kindly end her suffering (or have the vet do it.) I’m so sorry.

I’m terribly sorry to hear that. I used to foster dogs for a rescue and occasionally one would jump the fence or escape and go after our chickens. All the attacks but one needed up being fatal. I would recommend putting this poor bird down, keeping her alive at this point would only be for you. I’m not meaning anything rude by this but from what I’ve seen and the info you have given me I recommend it strongly. I don’t put any animals to rest unless there is no other option or it’s causing them pain. Once again sorry.

Back
Top Bottom