Dog attack ):

Cpprpnny19

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Middleboro
I was lucky this time. I was in the barn when the morons next door let the dog out off leash.
She headed right for the chickens which were free ranging in front and along side the barn. They came running into the barn to me. Too bad I didn't have a pitchfork in my hand but I ran screaming like a Looney-tick after the dog!
Called 911 to ask for the animal control officer to be sent. Another lucky thing was the dusting of snow showing all the dog tracks in front of the barn. Proof that I wasn't a liar-He goes next door and dog is now in the house. (Ya think? They had to have heard me!)

He tells them the dog attacked my chickens. Their intellegent response?
"Her chickens come into our yard". AC response was "then they are fair game. However, your dog was ON HER PROPERTY in her barn attacking the chickens".

They blustered and told him they were sorry and said they would call and apologize.

Good thing I didn't hold my breath as it's been over 24 hours and no call. (=

Some people just don't get it-

I can't believe they think an animal in their yard is fair game. Does that mean their dog in your yard is gair game? Words are cheap, but you can't buy em back.

I can't believe they think an animal in their yard is fair game. Does that mean their dog in your yard is gair game? Words are cheap, but you can't buy em back.

Um, actually, if the chickens go in their yard, then yes - they are fair game. It's not their fault that the chickens aren't being contained where they belong, and if the dog gets them in its own yard... oops! You should have kept your chickens where they belong. On the other hand, if your dog is in my yard chasing my chickens, then your dog is fair game. It's common courtesy to keep one's animals on one's own property. Period. Just to make it clear - if I lived where my neighbor's chickens were in my yard, I'd try to keep my dog from harming them (at least the first time or two). I'd also call my neighbors and politely ask them to keep their chickens home so I don't have to deal with the mess that they leave in the lawn. If the chickens were a continuing problem, I'd be more likely to call AC, make chicken stew... Sorry - got distracted. I'll quit rambling now.
hmm.png

Well, the chickens were in their own yard, and the dog was trespassing. The chickens were not in the dog's yard. The neighbors obviously aren't good ones. The dog will be back. Be ready.

In this case they were, yes. I was replying to the other post, not OP's. It's a problem I have - I don't always make myself clear. I know what I'm thinking, so I just figure everyone else should, too!
big_smile.png

Next time just shoot the dog and don't say a word.Animal control won't say a word to an owner protecting their livestock on their own property. But, to be fair I would work on fencing to keep my chickens home. That is if they are actually roaming over there, they could be just lying to protect themselves from animal control (I know the type). I'm lucky that my neighbors are good ones and live far enough away that my chickens don't stray onto their property. Some fresh eggs every now and then doesn't hurt either.

Next time just shoot the dog and don't say a word.Animal control won't say a word to an owner protecting their livestock on their own property. But, to be fair I would work on fencing to keep my chickens home. That is if they are actually roaming over there, they could be just lying to protect themselves from animal control (I know the type). I'm lucky that my neighbors are good ones and live far enough away that my chickens don't stray onto their property. Some fresh eggs every now and then doesn't hurt either.

I have a large live trap with a compartment for a live bird can be put as bait, if i had your problem i would set that trap in plain site ,so the neighbor could see it and bet they would get the message for sure, they could get their dog back after AC comes and issues a ticket or takes their dog.

Back
Top Bottom