Dog attacked Royal Palm hen, help please gory pic warning

She really needs an emergency vet. If that's out of the question, I would humanely euthanize her.

The muscle damage here is extensive and I'm not convinced it did not expose her abdominal cavity. Even if the external tissue starts to heal and you can somehow avoid infection, I would be seriously concerned about internal trauma.

Not only that, but the road to recovery for this poor girl is going to be extremely long and painful, if she can pull through. As caretakers, we have to consider if it's worth the extreme pain, shock, and trauma that we will put her through in order to have a chance of survival.

I'm really sorry about your girl. You said she's not eating; has she defecated since the attack?

She really needs an emergency vet. If that's out of the question, I would humanely euthanize her.

The muscle damage here is extensive and I'm not convinced it did not expose her abdominal cavity. Even if the external tissue starts to heal and you can somehow avoid infection, I would be seriously concerned about internal trauma.

Not only that, but the road to recovery for this poor girl is going to be extremely long and painful, if she can pull through. As caretakers, we have to consider if it's worth the extreme pain, shock, and trauma that we will put her through in order to have a chance of survival.

I'm really sorry about your girl. You said she's not eating; has she defecated since the attack?
Thank you, she will be at the regular vet Monday morning and I would like to wait and see what they say before euthanizing.
She has eaten some now, she's also done at least 2 solid poos and 3 more runny ones.
Have been giving her half an aspirin and she's stood up for a bit twice.

Thank you, she will be at the regular vet Monday morning and I would like to wait and see what they say before euthanizing.
She has eaten some now, she's also done at least 2 solid poos and 3 more runny ones.
Have been giving her half an aspirin and she's stood up for a bit twice.
That's great news that she's eating and pooping.
I'm so glad you're taking her to the vet. Best of luck with your girl.

She survived and moved back outside! I got a poult to replace her in the event that she croaked or had to be put down and she has adopted it. Most of her feathers are growing back but there is a small spot where nothing is growing.
For the first week after she went back outdoors I kept half expecting her to either disappear or die regardless but she didn't! At first she'd come in the sunroom and roost on top of the chick brooder at night where she's warm but lately she's moved back to roosting on the fence with the rest of the turkeys.
If someone reminds me tomorrow and if my phone actually lets me see the notification I'll try to get some pics

Back
Top Bottom