Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I missed this thread but, it seems to conclude that breed has no bearing of chicken friendliness of a dog. My experience is the same.

My chicken guardians are as follows:

Great Pyr
Lab - 2
Border Collie / Britney
Aussie
Cheasapke Bay Retriver

Actually, we haven't seen a dog that couldn't be trained for chicken duty.

Jim

Last edited:
I have 2 mini dachshunds (actually they are my inlaws, who live next door. They leave the adult chickens alone because they are bigger than them, and they are cowards - but the have killed at least 10 chicks, all my magpie ducks babies, several guineas and my priced OEGB bantam.

I have a pyr - he never hurts anything, be it bird, cat, pup or kid. he is a great dog - hating dachsunds

I have a Shetland Sheepdog, part of the herding group. She herds my kids, chickens, cats, etc. I trust her completely with my flock.
70771_all_family_pics_from_card_067.jpg

70771_dscn4307.jpg

I cannot speak for anyone elses Border Colllies... but mine couldn't care less about the chickens. My one BC helps round up the ducks in the evening... she NEVER bites or runs at them. I am so pleased with her gentle patience with them.

You can put Shetland Sheepdogs in both the chicken chaser and chicken killer categories. I also have a Cockerspaniel mix that would go in the chicken killer column.

IMO, you can put any and every breed of dog in Chicken Killer, Chicken Chaser categories. If the OP is looking for a dog breed that doesn't require training, they will not find it. If you don't have enough time to train a dog, don't get a dog.

I have an afghan hound that I was worried about when I first got the girls, since they have strong prey drive and will chase things that run - BUT - after the first day she has decided they are her responsibility to guard them and has accepted them into our family. Now she just ignores their antics, looks very indignant when they decide to use her as an umbrella if she's out in the rain with them and sounds off when someone/something gets too close to the yard when they are free ranging.

I don't know if I would recommend them 'for' chickens because they are a breed that 'does their own thing'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom