Dog house coop, should I hinge the roof? How?

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
I just bought a great traditional wooden dog house on Craigslist ($35!). The roof is made of overlapping planks, which looks nice, but a couple are starting to split and I know if I can break them open a raccoon certainly could. I'm thinking of removing the roof (even though it looks nice!) and replacing it with hinged plywood so I can get into the house to clean it and collect eggs. Is it possible to have a hinged roof that's still waterproof and/or shingled? I'd love to see photos of anyone's hinged roof......Thanks!

You could just carefully save the slats that you take off of it and then install the slats over your hinged plywood roof. That way it's waterproof, safe and still holds the charm of a wood slat roof.

Any that break, just use Gorilla Glue on and tack them in place with small nails. Pre-drill if needed to prevent further splitting.

Gorilla Glue is a expanding, polymer based glue.. A little goes a long way so don't use huge globs as they can expand to twice their size. A nice thin coat will glue the broken slats together without issue.

Last edited:
I was going suggest the same thing as the PP. While my roof won't be hinged, it could be made that way pretty easily. I'm doing that rippled plastic roofing over painted plywood. I'm painting the plywood in hopes of extending it's life.

I thought of something else. You may also want to create some kind of brace to hold it in the open position when you want it that way.

Usually you need something to cover the hinged joint of the two half roofs. In a fixed roof it is the ridge cap of shingles. To keep it water tight and allow the hinges to work, you need a flexible ridge cap. An old inner tube cut length wise might work. You can get heavy poly shower pan liner from Home Depot or Lowe's by the foot (or least you used to be able to). This would also work. Hopefully they would have a color that would work for you.

If the dog house isn't too big, I'd just make it so the whole roof hinges. If you have enough overhang, then weather-proofing shouldn't be a problem.

Hmm, it's a pretty big dog house. I was wondering if it was possible to put the hinges about halfway down one side of the roof, so only the lower part flipped up, rather than putting the hinges at the peak of the roof. I thought this might make it easier to waterproof, but am I wrong? (I'm new at this!)

Quote:
The best way to do it and keep it watertight would be to put a "door" in the roof.

Cut out a square the size you want the door to be, frame around the edges with small lumber to raise it above the roof level, and put a door on top that slightly overhangs the frame.

This picture shows the general principle I'm describing. The raised lip is what keeps water out

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/uploads/42641/inside.JPG

That sounds like a really good idea. I think even I could manage that!

I do wonder if it makes more sense to hinge the roof or the back wall of the house. Anyone have an opinion on which makes the most sense?

My hubby built a duck house with the roof hinged. It is sloped and hinged on the front side. You lift from the back and can clean it out..

He used a thick sheet of treated plywood and I have to paint it each Spring.
The duck house is 8 years old now and still in great shape. I think the size is 3 ft. by 4 ft.
The roof needs to be latched down on the backside so the wind doesn't get under it... I learned that from experience...

Back
Top Bottom